What do you do with your used UDT?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've been just dumping it into the used oil drum but wondering if it can/should be reused somehow.
Although it's used, could it be used in an application like a log splitter or should I just keep using cheap but new hyd fluid in the splitter?
Other ideas?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good question. UDT2 is top of the line fluid. Would used UDT2 be equivalent or better than cheap hydro?
I have to think there is a very good chance it would be, depending on the change interval.
From the little I've read and learned from Blackstone oil analysis oil starts to break down after 12 months of use. Somehow the breakdown is not good for the engine. So, if the UDT2 is about to break down, maybe all it would be good for is starting fires.

Interesting thought though.
Hunter11, does the UDT burn like regular oil? Synthetic is harder to start isn't it?

Hunter11

I use synthetic fluids in everything we own. In my experience they will burn just as well as the regular stuff.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I use synthetic fluids in everything we own. In my experience they will burn just as well as the regular stuff.
My memory if fuzzy but maybe it was that synthetic burns hotter. Not sure but a mechanic who heated his building with used motor oil would not use synthetic in his stove. Can't remember exactly why so I thought it didn't burn as well. But maybe it was because it burnt hotter or would somehow mess up his stove.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I did a 600-hour service on my Kubota Tractor using SUDT2 and saved the original SUDT2 which came out for “make up” fluid. I may also use it in an older (1986) HST-drive compactor-roller which used ordinary cheap universal fluid. I figure used SUDT2 is better than cheap universal fluid…even with 600 hrs on it.

Reactions: Doc

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Our Transfer Station and Town Garage heat with used motor oil so disposal for me is easy. Check to see if some garages in your area heat with used oils. Waste oil burners are highly efficient.

Bota Fett

Site Supporter
Count me in with the city maintenance facility burning used oil. I find it the easiest, and best way to get rid of it.