Wheel Studs

ko4bg

Site Supporter
I have a 2004, RTV 900 and pulled the wheels to have new Grim Reaper tires put on. Found out it Does NOT have Studs for the Wheels but Bolts and its a Pain in the Butt putting them back on especially for a Broke Down OLD Man!! Can the Bolts be replaced with Studs to make it easier to change a Wheel? I mean its Not Every day you do this BUT when you get OLD you need something to Hold the Wheel in Place!!
Woody

Westfield

I have a 2004, RTV 900 and pulled the wheels to have new Grim Reaper tires put on. Found out it Does NOT have Studs for the Wheels but Bolts and its a Pain in the Butt putting them back on especially for a Broke Down OLD Man!! Can the Bolts be replaced with Studs to make it easier to change a Wheel? I mean its Not Every day you do this BUT when you get OLD you need something to Hold the Wheel in Place!!
Woody
I found this on the web one says can only be ordered by the dealer so what tells me your Kubota dealer should have them. hope it helps

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210727-102530_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210727-102530_Samsung Internet.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20210727-102411_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210727-102411_Samsung Internet.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Doc

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Just thinking out loud, but if the hubs are threaded you'll need to drill out the threads to install the studs. Not terribly difficult but what I have is a couple bolts with the heads cutoff that I thread into the hub, slide on the wheel, put in 2 bolts, remove the studs and put in the rest of the bolts. The threads are metric but should be available near you.

ko4bg

Site Supporter
Just thinking out loud, but if the hubs are threaded you'll need to drill out the threads to install the studs. Not terribly difficult but what I have is a couple bolts with the heads cutoff that I thread into the hub, slide on the wheel, put in 2 bolts, remove the studs and put in the rest of the bolts. The threads are metric but should be available near you.
That sounds Like a Plan, I called my Local Kubota place and they told me they couldn't get a Stud set, I ask about the Orange website and he didn't know about it.

ItBmine

My new 2021 RTV1100 has both? Any idea why they do that? Each wheel has two studs and two bolts.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My new 2021 RTV1100 has both? Any idea why they do that? Each wheel has two studs and two bolts.
I'll guess they do it to make it easier to put the wheel back on ...and maybe save money with the bolts. WAG ..wild ass guess.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
What I found out helps with starting those darn bolts is to use a shovel to adjust the tire height . It really is helpful- like a fat prybar . :) ' Also , if needed, I add a 2x4 etc to get the angle right if the shovel is too flat. I can change a tire by myself doing this .

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I have the same on my X900.…two studs and two bolts on each wheel. I cannot imagine why they did that.
Of course, the studs are easier for wheel installation…but why they didn’t stay with the same on all four…?? WTF? Makes little sense to me.
I was at the dealer yesterday and looked on all RTVs on the lot and it was a curious mix…some had studs…some had bolts…some had both.
Goofy if you ask me.

ItBmine

I have the same on my X900.…two studs and two bolts on each wheel. I cannot imagine why they did that.
Of course, the studs are easier for wheel installation…but why they didn’t stay with the same on all four…?? WTF? Makes little sense to me.
I was at the dealer yesterday and looked on all RTVs on the lot and it was a curious mix…some had studs…some had bolts…some had both.
Goofy if you ask me.
I wonder......I haven't seen how the RTV's are shipped, do you think it is the dealer that does the final wheel install and uses whatever they have on hand??
My dealer had 12 of them in stock, but I never thought to look at them. Well, mainly because I didn't discover it until I got mine home.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
One possibility might be the wheels ordered/supplied with the vehicle. Mine has plain steel wheels (and that’s what I prefer). Some of the aluminum wheels had all bolts….while others of different design had all studs. I know that some wheels have different chamfers to center the wheel on the hub…. and some hubs have a central spigot to center the wheel…. maybe the type and style of wheel determines what system is used…. but that’s only a guess.

Cajunrotor

Site Supporter
I'll second (third? fourth?) that the bolt-only wheel mounts are terrible. I just had to deal with a busted sidewall down at the deer lease and getting the replacement on was a b****. I'm gonna do as Avanti Guy suggests with the extra bolts without heads for the future. I'm home now so can anyone tell me what size/thread those wheel mounting bolts are for a 2005 RTV?

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I'll second (third? fourth?) that the bolt-only wheel mounts are terrible. I just had to deal with a busted sidewall down at the deer lease and getting the replacement on was a b****. I'm gonna do as Avanti Guy suggests with the extra bolts without heads for the future. I'm home now so can anyone tell me what size/thread those wheel mounting bolts are for a 2005 RTV?
To be accurate and safe you should ask your Kubota dealer (or contact Messicks) because otherwise any responder would have to have the same year and model as you have.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Most stores, like TSC, usually have a board to check the size and pitch of both metric and SAE bolts using your bolt. Big box stores usually have them also. If not, you can check the metric/sae nuts drawers to see if they have any that fit and buy the same size bolts.

Cajunrotor

Site Supporter
I can't get to my RTV now to verify those specs since it's at the deer lease almost 200 miles from here. I appreciate the responses and suggestions and will try a couple of those when I can get back down there.