Why UDT2 in the hydraulic (only) system

With the cost of UDT2 im asking why I'm running it in the hydraulic system of the RTV? I completely understand when it comes to the transmission but for a basic pump and 3 (with plow) cylinders I just don't get it. I'm new to the RTV scene so I'm asking questions before I make a mistake. My machine is a 2008 1100 if that matters.

4570FAN

I've wondered the same thing myself. I look forward to seeing answers from the knowledgeable folks on here.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i don't have a good answer but i have a question??? how is the UDT2 cost compared to other oils of similar quality?

ZZZ2D1

Site Supporter
How can you define comparable oils without an oil labs quality and specification analysis?
We all know synthetic is better than crude, which is what these machines like.
I am a total believer of synthetic's, but they also have different subjective properties between brands.
There has been many subjects/topic's in the past where different brands have caused problem's.
That is the data that needs to be studied.

Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Before I even bought my RTV I'd read enough horror stories from folks using other than UDT2 hydro oil that I never considered anything else. Plus, for my use, 37.9 hours a year equates to me getting about 8 years between changes. Looking at it as cost per year helps me justify the good stuff for my girl.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Before I even bought my RTV I'd read enough horror stories from folks using other than UDT2 hydro oil that I never considered anything else. Plus, for my use, 37.9 hours a year equates to me getting about 8 years between changes. Looking at it as cost per year helps me justify the good stuff for my girl.
Doc. respectfully----you are flirting with a bad hst if you extend the oil changes that long.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc. respectfully----you are flirting with a bad hst if you extend the oil changes that long.
I've never gone that long as I've sold and moved up in RTV's. Kubota says to change it every 300 hours.
How often do you change yours?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
this is where Kubota should take responsibility and edit their maintenance schedule. once per year unless you get 300 hours before that time is up. this in my opinion is why we see so many low hour machines with bad transmissions. low hour usage is actually harder on the oil than hard use. also i think this could be why when an owner uses a compatible oil instead of udt2 and still follows this 300 hour but years on oil schedule is even worse. at least the udt2 has better corrosion and water contamination quality than other similar oil.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have read on the oil use in my cars and trucks, dino or syn, it's good for x number of miles or one year. After one year the oil starts to break down and can cause issues.
I have not read anything on hydraulic oil but perhaps it is the same with all oils. Interesting. Thanks Aurthuritis. :tiphat:

I had hoped this thread would have a few people posting about running UDT2 compatible oil (per the standard) in the hydraulic system and telling tales of it causing failures but don't seem to be the case. For me I got 1 machine so we're talking about an extra 50 bucks, so I'll spend the extra money and not have to worry about it but with as many warnings as I seem to see in different places about not running OEM oil in these machines I really thought at least 1 person would post about the troubles that an equivalent oil has caused them.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i don't know but i suspect the reason the udt2 is superior to off brand oils is it has an enormous capability to hold water. probably but i don't know for sure though??? if you ran a compatible oil or even just 30 weight motor oil in the hast or hydraulic but increased your service interval you probably wouldn't see any damage. but you might not save any money???

Amarillo

I just traded in a 2016 L3301 tractor with HST that I ran all Amsoil oils in, to include the hydraulic fluid. I never had any problems. I just bought a new MX 6000 tractor and RTV X1100c for our farm and after reading this thread, I may decide to just run the UDT2 in both. Do any of you run Amsoil products in your machines? I've been using Amsoil lubricant in all our cars, trucks, tractors and UTV's for 17 years with great results (no failures) but it sounds like these Kubota RTVs may be more sensitive to other brand lubricants?? I'm a firm believer in good maintenance practices on these machines so I'd like to give them the best lubricants.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Slightly off topic of hydraulic oil but interesting

I have a what is considered a high performance boat. 496 Mag engine.
I picked it up from total performance marine yesterday and was talking with the owner about what kind of oil he put in since big blocks are know to use a bit of oil I wanted to be sure to top it off with same oil.
He put in Rotella T4 15-40. Non synthetic. :eek:
Shocked me.
He said if it can hold up to diesel it can do even better in an engine that is forever running like it's going up hill (constant high rpm).
I told him I had been running Mobil One synthetic in all my stuff, including my tractor.
For cars and trucks that's good he said but fur the boat and tractor in order to get the operating temp of the oil up so that it does not degrade the Rotella would do better.
Just repeating what I heard but this fellow has been doing it for years and I respect his opinion. He is inside the motors and sees the issues or not from various oils. So interesting food for thought. I have to change oil in my tractor and I know I'll use Rotella T4 when I do.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
with todays tractor engines there is a widening gap for oil specs between the old turbocharged standard diesel and the def non def with particulate filter exhaust. use the wrong oil and you may have to spend thousands on an exhaust. and some of the newer oils don't have the detergents necessary for the older engines. the up spec in oil no longer applies and the gap is widening . i use rotella straight weight and multi vis oils both. but even rotella has it buried in their tech the differences

Guys,if you think udt2 is expensive wait till you price the HST and suction filters for rtv900....62.00 for two filters from kubota dealer near me!!!!! WHAT A BUNCH OF BS!!

• Wow