x1100c ...What is the difference between H and L

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Some of my hills are a challenge for the RTV due to rocks sticking up, or slippery muddy areas. So I put the RTV in 4wd and go for it. I usually make it up the hill but once in awhile have to back down and give it another shot. I've made it up the hills while in H, and while in L. I do not notice a difference in the RTV's performance.

Can someone explain the difference in H and L please. Thanks.

ItBmine

With two buckets of gravel in the bed from my B2620 and the air conditioning on, where it will bog down on my hills in high it climbs in low range without losing any RPM.

I can't remember the top speed in each range. But low was closer to high range than I would have thought.

I've read lots of complaints about the power and speed of the RTV1100, but I must have got a good one that is set up right. Because mine will pull a box full of gravel up hills no problem and I can get up to 27 MPH on flat road verified with my Garmin GPS.

Mine actually goes up hills one to two MPH faster when it is loaded. And despite it having the same basic engine as my B2620 I noticed the RTV sure has a lot more diesel fuel smell in the exhaust than the tractor does.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A/C does bog the RTV down on hills so I try not to run it when on my hills. Never tried climbing a hill in L with a/c on.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Keep in mind the foot-pedal is not an engine accelerator. It is a transmission HST-control…which has the throttle governed to it.
Mashing the pedal to the floor loads the transmission but may not add sufficient throttle to perform the task. Sometimes less pedal is more capable of climbing a hill than full-pedal.
L (Low) is a lower-gear-ratio…and the same engine-RPM will accomplish more torque to the wheels for the same engine speed.

If you want to really increase the capability to climb hills it would be helpful to install the hand-throttle control to rev the engine prior to loading it down with increased HST-demands.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, I understand the pedal. Got used to that with my HST tractor and 06 and 09 RTV's.
L might have more torque but it is not apparent and the engine does not rev any higher climbing the hills, as you said in your post geohorn.

The x1100c has what appears to be a hand throttle but it does not work like the one I had on my RTV 900. It does not work for driving. It appears to be for hydro accessories.

Last edited:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
the transmission has an HST that drives a two speed gearbox transmission. L or Low would be first gear and H or High would be second gear while R for reverse changes direction. L and H are just two different gear ratio's.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yesterday I experienced the difference between L and H. I had to stop on a hill due to grand kids walking. We picked up the youngest one and the others wanted to continue walking. I start to take off in H and found no go. Engine just reved up but no movement. Put it in L and away we go. As you all pointed out, the gearing is different. Not obvious when you don't need it but sure nuff it is different.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I tried the same hills yesterday in L with the A/C on. Results were the same as when in H. I was down to 2mph on the hill with the engine seeming to bog down.

ItBmine

The AC sucks a LOT of power on these.

When mine bogs down on a hill like that I let up on the pedal and it picks right back up. Then I just gradually feed it throttle again.

Bota Fett

Site Supporter
ya'll need to adjust the peddle hst throttle relationship. something is out of whack
I think it's just when we try going up hills with the A/C on. Mine behaves exactly what you are describing. For the record my entire property is on a slope, so I always use L and sometimes have to shut down the A/C, or like others have suggested ease up on the go pedal. I'm still amazed at how much we can pull with this tiny diesel engine.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
ya'll need to adjust the peddle hst throttle relationship. something is out of whack
I tend to agree Aurthuritis.
Today I tried the same hills with a/c on in H to see if it was the same as L. I do let off the peddle as mentioned to give the engine time to rev up a bit then give more throttle.....but today, no chance to do that. In H and a/c on it slowed down to 5mph, was struggling so I was reaching to shut off a/c but before I could do that KLUNK ...it died. A first. But as mentioned before I normally do not go up the hills with a/c on. Today was 90 degrees so I thought it a good day for a test. LOL

Last edited:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
yup. you are 500 feet lower than me. this gives you an advantage of 1.5 percent over me. i would bet your engine has been de rated to meet epa. does the engine smoke any at all when pulled down to that level? you shouldn't need to back off of the peddle on your model.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have not noticed smoke, not sure by what you mean by pulled down to that level?

ItBmine

No mine is fine. Just the nature of the hydro.
Mine goes up my hills at 9 MPH with 2 buckets of gravel from my B in the box. And tops out 25/26 MPH verified with my Garmin.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I just rec’d today the hand-throttle kit and will install it later and report back.