Newbie Considering X1140, Feedback Welcome

TechJunkie

Hi all, as you can see this is my first post. I have spent untold hours researching and narrowing my choices for my first RTV/UTV. A little background: My wife and I own 15 acres with 11.5 in woods in west central Indiana (no real steep stuff). I currently own a Yamaha ATV that is now 22 years old. It has served me well but has required various rebuilds over the years. At 53, I now have two artificial knees and arthritis in my back and neck and would like a utility vehicle to maintain our property and hunt. The on and off of the ATV really aggravates my back. I live 3 miles from town and 5 miles from two of my friends. RTV/UTVs are legal in my county and town. I also own a Kubota ZD326 which I am in love with. It is an amazing mower and I perform all of my own maintenance. 1,700 hours and it runs and looks like new.

In looking at utility vehicles durability and longevity are top of my list with capacity next. I have looked at JD Gators, Kubota X1120D and X1140. I have researched all the main brands. The only other one I strongly considered was the Kawasaki Mule. I need the 10-20+ year machine. (While my wife is supportive at the moment, there will be no do overs, whatever I get I will have till death do us part!)

I understand that the Kubota RTVs are not fast. The one I really want is the X1140. With the added seating it would be great for taking my kids or grandkids around with me or when hunting in and out of the woods at times. I also really LOVE the bed when in the two seat configuration. What has me somewhat hesitant is the speed. While I do not need a 50+ MPH utility vehicle, I have been told 25MPH for the X1140 is a pipe dream especially with a wind shield. I also would like to be able to run it in town for diesel, to the hardware or 5 miles to my friends house. Not often but once or twice a month. I noticed the X1120 seemed to get up to top speed more quickly than the X1140. I wish the RTVs could at least do 30-35 consistently.

My questions are:

1) Can anyone with an X1140 share with me if you are happy with this model or wish you had purchased something else? (any other RTV model owners happy or wish they would have chosen something else)
2) Are Kubota RTVs really superior in build quality, durability and longevity? Are UTVs with CVT transmissions such as the Gators just as durable over the long haul? (I hate worrying about belt abuse when I want to tow or pull)
3) Is 3-5 miles of distance a deal breaker at 20-25 MPH for those with road experience?
4) I have to drive around field edges about 3/4 mile to get to our hunting location. Should I insist on the ATV tires or will the HD Worksite tires be fine? I have received mixed information on this but the consensus has been get a lugged tire if you want to drive your RTV anywhere near mud, though the HDWorksite tires seem better for the yard.
5) If the HST on the Kubota is superior and it weighs more than most other utility vehicles why does Kubota rate towing to 1,300 lbs when lighter belt driven UTVs are usually rated at 2,000 lbs towing. I know the RTV will do it. Is this just Kubota being conservative or will towing 2,000 - 2,500 lbs loads damage the HST?

Sorry for such a VERY LONG first post. At least to me this is a really big decision and one I won't get to make twice. I have saved the funds and I am ready to pull the trigger, I just want to be sure my aim is true.

Last edited:

coobie

I have owned 2002 Kawasaki Mule 4010 and 2 Kubota RTVs 2006 RTV 900 sold it with 1000 carefree hours to purchase a 2021 RTV1100c.The kubota IMHO is the hands down winner verses the Mule.If you are looking for speed look elsewhere the kubotas are real work horses.

Attachments

• tempImage434O6E.png
    tempImage434O6E.png
    15.4 MB · Views: 10

TechJunkie

Coobie, thank you for your reply. No speed isn't a primary concern. The utility vehicle I buy will be 70% on my property for work and just running around the property, 20% hunting and 10% running to town 3 miles or friends 5 miles. That said, I have read mixed reviews on the X1140 getting anywhere close to the rated speed of 25MPH. I would like to run it to the fuel station for diesel or hardware from time to time. I am hoping the X1140 can at least matin between 22-23 with a windshield on flat pavement.

Hunter11

We have a 2020 X1140 Camo which replaced a Mule Pro FXT LE. I will try and answer your questions as best I can.

1. So far we have been very happy with the X1140. No issue with about 1200 miles on it.

2. We live on 150 acres and use it daily for hunting, hauling feed, cutting and hauling wood to towing a trailer around the place moving all sorts of things. We went with the X1140 because of the HST as my tractor has it. The Mule was faster but I begin to smell the belt burning a few times when out doing odd jobs around the property. Nothing wrong with it just felt like it was not going to hold up to daily work.

3. Once or twice a week we run down the road about 3 miles to check on an elderly neighbor. It is about half blacktop half gravel road. I usually run about 15 to 20 mph and we enjoy the drive (ours will do 25 mph). We do have a full top and windshield. Like I said the Mule did it faster but no issue in the X1140 either.

4. I went with the ATV tires. Just felt like the Worksite tires would not cut it for what we use it for.

5. The most I have towed with it is probably around 1k but I would not be worried about towing more with it especially because I am not towing that far and at low speeds. I just feel like the HST is a better system for work than a belt drive, I am very anal about maintenance with all my equipment and vehicles so hopefully that will help keep issues away.

Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

20201111_144821.jpg

20201111_144833.jpg

Last edited:

TechJunkie

Hunter11, Thank you so very much for your reply. Beautiful machine you have there! That is the exact information I was looking for. My local dealer has one X1140 on the way and has reserved it for me to be first in line. The next Kubota Dealer has 8 already spoken for and they will not have any for sale until late 2022 from their estimate.

If you don't mind if I ask, with a windshield and open station do you fell a windshield wiper would be helpful? I have been thinking in the winter or if raining coming out of the woods from hunting I a windshield wiper might be useful but I have no frame of reference on an open station utility vehicle.

Also, If you don't mind I ask, did you buy the light bar, rear light and mirrors through Kubota or separately. If separately, do you know what brand they are? They look great on your machine and would be exactly what I would be looking for.

Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had an 09 RTV 1140 and loved it. The bigger bed in 2 seat mode and being able to haul more people option with extra seat up were great. It had more power than the 06 RTV 900 it replaced. The 09 had the 3 shift points. L, M and H. H would get up around 25, I didn't GPS check it. But if you had a hill in the way you'd have to stop to shift to M or L to go up the hill, then stop again once up the hill to shift to H to go a bit faster. Frustrating. All the newer RTV's have the H and L option. H does slow down on hill but it makes it up the hills no problem. Just slow. Then on semi flat ground my x1100c will get up and go a tad over 25. I think that's because I put bigger tires on it. Not sure though as it needed tires right off when I bought it (used 2015 model).
As for tires, I'd go with ATV tires for sure. Blackwater evolution tires rock. They do not tear up my yard but will get me through the mud.
Good luck with your decision.

TechJunkie

I had an 09 RTV 1140 and loved it. The bigger bed in 2 seat mode and being able to haul more people option with extra seat up were great. It had more power than the 06 RTV 900 it replaced. The 09 had the 3 shift points. L, M and H. H would get up around 25, I didn't GPS check it. But if you had a hill in the way you'd have to stop to shift to M or L to go up the hill, then stop again once up the hill to shift to H to go a bit faster. Frustrating. All the newer RTV's have the H and L option. H does slow down on hill but it makes it up the hills no problem. Just slow. Then on semi flat ground my x1100c will get up and go a tad over 25. I think that's because I put bigger tires on it. Not sure though as it needed tires right off when I bought it (used 2015 model).
As for tires, I'd go with ATV tires for sure. Blackwater evolution tires rock. They do not tear up my yard but will get me through the mud.
Good luck with your decision.
Doc, thank you for the reply. I appreciate the advice on the ATV tires, I will definitely go that route! I am almost certain the X1140 is the route I want to go. I hope I am right that the Kubota RTV is best option when considering overall durability and lifespan. I am very particular about the maintenance on my vehicles and equipment so I will definitely keep whatever I buy well maintained. Thanks again!

Reactions: Doc

Hunter11

TechJunkie, I do not have a WW on ours. I have run through rain a couple of times when out doing something and it was really no problem. As far as snow goes we really don't see that much down here in Texas.

The lights are Nilight brand. I had the same brand on our Mule Pro and had good luck with them. The light bar is a 42" curved and the rear are 6". I also bought their wiring harnesses and LED mounting brackets. The mirrors are Chupacabra Offroad. I bought all these items on Amazon. I have also replaced the worthless stock halogen headlight bulbs with LED's which made a world of difference.

The only items I bought with the RTV from Kubota is the roof, windshield and rear view mirror.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
If you are going to use it in the winter (or even summer) get the wiper. I plow snow up here in Michigan and during the event the snow will stick to my windshield. Considering the cost of these things the wiper is a modest cost edition.

Secondly, for a 5 mile run the difference between 25 and 35 mph is probably under 2 minutes. Play another tune on the radio and enjoy the ride.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
I have a x1100 and the only thing I will say is, if they allowed atvs on our roads I would buy something faster. I do drive mine on the road with a smv sign.

HBTexas

Gold Site Supporter
X1100C here,, and totally head over heals in LOVE with it !! A little slow,, But I am in no hurry.
I also drive on roadways with my SMV Sign and flashers .

TechJunkie

I have a x1100 and the only thing I will say is, if they allowed atvs on our roads I would buy something faster. I do drive mine on the road with a smv sign.
Thank you for your reply. I REALLY want the X1140, the only concern I have had is the occasional 3 to 5 mile trips. I really don't have any place to drive an RTV or UTV that would be farther away. The other places I would use it I would have to trailer even a UTV. I only have one friend that even has a UTV. He has a Gator and uses it for fairly light duty work, but he also could buy a new one every year if he really wanted. What I buy I need to be as durable as possible and out last me!

Last edited:

TechJunkie

X1100C here,, and totally head over heals in LOVE with it !! A little slow,, But I am in no hurry.
I also drive on roadways with my SMV Sign and flashers .
Thank you HBTexas for your reply! What part of Texas? My son and his family live just outside of Houston and love it. I am 53 and speed really isn't my main consideration. I just want to be sure my expectations are in line. Whatever I buy will mostly be for property maintenance and hunting, but a ride into town for ice creamed fuel would be nice every now and again. There are a lot of UTVs and even golf carts on the road around here as it is legal. I guess at least I will be able to blow the roofs off the golf carts! :). haha

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
as for tires=== look at upgrading to a set of 26 inch ITP baja cross tires. they won't tear up your grass and do fine in mud and soft sand/rocks etc. they will up your speed a little also. i can get just a little over 30 mph on my x1100c with them. note that the circumference on same size tires can be quite different across brands and this can make a difference in top speed.

ItBmine

I'll add to what others have said, if you are in mud get ATV tires. I have worksite tires on my 1100C and they are great on the lawn, road and snow. But when I got in mud, I almost got stuck because they packed up. They also didn't like going down into the deep sand on the beach. I had to put it in 4WD to get out.

If you want a windshield with a wiper.....spend the extra and get a glass windshield. I have friends that tried to save a few bucks and got hard coated lexan and they still scratched after a while.

Your other questions I can't help you with that specific model. I have the 1100C with a cab. But I can say, even at the lower speeds, I LOVE trail riding with it. Wife and I don't even touch the atv's any more. And I tried my friends new RZR 1000's and Can Am 1000 turbos........I'll take my RTV and go slow. Not as loud inside, not as hot inside. And I love the low RPM power. Just idles through anything.

The mine I work at just bought a bunch of RTV 1140's. So they are gunna get the durability test for sure, LOL

TechJunkie

as for tires=== look at upgrading to a set of 26 inch ITP baja cross tires. they won't tear up your grass and do fine in mud and soft sand/rocks etc. they will up your speed a little also. i can get just a little over 30 mph on my x1100c with them. note that the circumference on same size tires can be quite different across brands and this can make a difference in top speed.
Thank you Arthritis for the tire recommendation. Fortunately I live in the country and if I killed all the weeds in my yard, I wouldn't have a yard! So tearing the grass up a little isn't a major concern but if the ITP Baja Cross tires work well in most environments and the bonus is a few more MPH then sounds like something to look into.

TechJunkie

I'll add to what others have said, if you are in mud get ATV tires. I have worksite tires on my 1100C and they are great on the lawn, road and snow. But when I got in mud, I almost got stuck because they packed up. They also didn't like going down into the deep sand on the beach. I had to put it in 4WD to get out.

If you want a windshield with a wiper.....spend the extra and get a glass windshield. I have friends that tried to save a few bucks and got hard coated lexan and they still scratched after a while.

Your other questions I can't help you with that specific model. I have the 1100C with a cab. But I can say, even at the lower speeds, I LOVE trail riding with it. Wife and I don't even touch the atv's any more. And I tried my friends new RZR 1000's and Can Am 1000 turbos........I'll take my RTV and go slow. Not as loud inside, not as hot inside. And I love the low RPM power. Just idles through anything.

The mine I work at just bought a bunch of RTV 1140's. So they are gunna get the durability test for sure, LOL
Thank you ItBmine for the reply. Yes, a mine would be a real life durability test. One of the big questions I am researching is if the Kubota RTVs are really more durable with a greater life expectancy with maintenance than other brand UTVs. When I say with maintenance, I am referring to routine maintenance, oil changes, greasing, suspension bushings etc. and not replacing major components. The consensus seems to be yes but I know many on here have had a lot of experience themselves and through friends to have a more experience based answer. I must say the X1140 really seems to check nearly all the boxes for my wants/needs.

And YES glass windshield is a must IMHO. With or without the wiper but the wiper could be nice if I get caught out in the rain or in the winter. I don't see it as a necessity but my plan is to only do this once so I figure I will do it right.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had plexigass windshields and no wiper on my two previous RTV's (a 900 and a 1140). Neither had a wiper. Totally by chance the x1100c I bought used had a glass windshield and a wiper. I've only had to use the wiper a few times but I will always go with glass an a wiper from here on out. So much better.

I haven't seen you mention turn signals but when running on the highway hand signals can be missed way to often. I had turn signals installed on my current RTV and like the wiper, they are a must for me from here on out. Safer on the highway / back roads for sure.

If buying new they only knock off so many dollars but you might be able to have turn signals and wiper tossed into the mix for free or for a nice discount. Can't hurt to ask.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
One other major difference between the RTV's and other UTVs is the go pedal. Unlike a gas/brake set up like our cars and trucks, the Kubota uses something I've heard just called a go pedal. Mash it and it goes, let it go and the RTV stops. In low gear this can be abrupt until you get the hang of it. One of our orchards is on a ridge top with a steep gravel service road. In our truck, if you're not on the brakes all the way down. you will miss the turn and wind up about 50 feet down a holler. With the RTV, if one of us had a foot that slipped off the pedal or God forbid, had a medical issue, releasing the pedal, even down hill would cause it to stop. Because my Wife and grown kids use the machine as well, I find this comforting and a good reason to go with the RTV. The hydraulically controlled bed is another. We have some mighty big loads of gravel and firewood in the bed and no way could I have lifted that bed into dump position. I think the 1140 camo that Hunter posted is one of the best looking RTVs I've seen. I am partial to camo. Good luck with your decision.

TechJunkie

I had plexigass windshields and no wiper on my two previous RTV's (a 900 and a 1140). Neither had a wiper. Totally by chance the x1100c I bought used had a glass windshield and a wiper. I've only had to use the wiper a few times but I will always go with glass an a wiper from here on out. So much better.

I haven't seen you mention turn signals but when running on the highway hand signals can be missed way to often. I had turn signals installed on my current RTV and like the wiper, they are a must for me from here on out. Safer on the highway / back roads for sure.

If buying new they only knock off so many dollars but you might be able to have turn signals and wiper tossed into the mix for free or for a nice discount. Can't hurt to ask.
Doc, thank you for the reply. Yes, the turn signal kit is on my list as well. I will definitely be negotiating. I have a price and I am going to work hard to hit it with all the accessories on my list!