2014 RTV X1100C will not move. Hydraulic Oil foaming, HST? Transmission?

Graham

Hi All.

I just purchased a used RTV that I want to fix up. It was not taken care of well at all so I know I have lots to do but I want get the basics working first. I don't know anything about these machines so I really need help The engine works well but the problem is it just wont move when put into gear. symptoms are...

-Axles barely spin when in gear and so slow that if I grab ahold of it with my hand it will stop.
-Axles don't increase speed very much when accelerated
-Hydraulic fill tanks forms air bubbles after idle for a few minutes

What I've tried...

-Released all break linkages to make sure nothing is sticking
-Made sure Axles move by hand when machine is off and in neutral
-Replaced all oils and filters for both transmission and HST with proper Kubota materials
-Made sure oil levels are correct
-Went through every Hydraulic hose inlet and outlet looking for leaks and tightening clamps (Also the dump bed lifts no problem)

Could really use some help Fellas. Thanks

Armyaviatr

SUPER Site Supporter
my guess is there is something wrong with the HST. The service manual on the x1100 lists the High Pressure Relief Valve as the first thing to check for loss of power. I assume you filled the Hydraulic tank under the seat to the proper level. What model do you have?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I didn't have that model mentioned in your header, but do remember something about certain models having a poor description of where the fill port reservoir was, and so caused misery to several or more owners. As armyaviatr stated, it was under the seat on the model I read about. Mine was in the transmission ( early 900 and 900 xt ) . Good luck !

Graham

Yes my fill tank is under the seat. It's filled to the proper level. When I check it after running that's when I see it foaming with air bubbles.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
you also filled the transmission from under the bed also?? when you changed oil in the hst you used the super udt? Kubota filters? sounds like you have water in the oil still.

Graham

Yes filled transmission under the bed as well. Used proper Kubota filters and super udt. I haven't seen any sign of water in the oil. It was a nice color coming out. Not milky or discolored.

Graham

Yes I purchased it like this. Along with the engine not starting but I have the engine running well now.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
ok thanks that helps. the only way air can get into the hst system is on the suction side of the primary pump. do you have access to test gauges? edit--- externally speaking. next move will be internal edit again.... how many hours???

Graham

Thanks Aurthuritis. It has 1400 hrs on it. I don't have access to test gauges but I can try to track one down.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
gauges alway help. i think in that thread i linked someone made up a set pretty cheap. it should have all of the description of the fittings etc. was it foaming the oil when you got it or did it just start after the oil change? reason i ask is it is possible there is a reaction going on between the new oil and any residual oil left in the system from previous oil??

Armyaviatr

SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry, there was something wrong with my computer last night, I didn't see the model number. Any way, I have a 2013 x1100 I recently purchased, and all the hydraulic hoses were hard as a rock. I had to cut them to get them off. I would start with replacing them all. I agree with aurthuritis you probably are sucking air from the suction pipe. Did you check the suction screen when you drained the tank?

Graham

Thanks guys. I'm not sure if the oil was foaming before or not. I changed the oil twice before running it because it had some red oil in it and I knew it was wrong. I did remove and clean the suction screen as well. I'll start with looking for air leaks like you mentioned but is it possible to be sucking air but not leaking oil? All my lines look dry at all the fittings.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
red oil. yes an air leak can be there without any show. you can rig a bicycle inner tube over the fill hole and pinch the vent and put about 10 psi on the system for overnight. sometimes that will make a suction leak evident. with those hours and red oil your probably need a rebuild anyway. unless you think the red might be dye? for leak detection??? they also make an additive that you use with a black light. suspect the suction screen area because it has been recently removed/replaced and that would be a perfect place.

Graham

Not sure I want to dive I to a rebuild right away because someone put red oil in it. I assume it's just a cheap hydraulic oil but I know it's not Kubota brand so that's why I changed it out. I went around tightening clamps everywhere but still did the same thing. I'll have to dig in to it more indepth. This picture shows what it looks like in the fill tank under the seat after 2 min of idle. After it settles if goes back completely clear with no sign of water or sediment which is why I think it's only air. Also side note.... Anyone know what this top lever is for?PXL_20220129_225019686.MP.jpgPXL_20220129_224919114.jpg

Armyaviatr

SUPER Site Supporter
my guess is the top lever is for a remote hydraulic set up. Do you have un used couplers on either the front or back?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
what does the oil in the transmission look like? that is in the hydraulic tank and is probably caused by one of your valves or remotes cutting the oil. it could also be from turbulent return from those valves. your problems as for the foam may not be transmission related at all. what are the other symptoms?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm curious about the oil in the transmission also. My earlier post should have said that my tank on the 900, for the hydraulic dump bed was at the transmission just under the tailgate but the transmission had it's own fill right on top. ( I also plugged in my weed wiper in the 2 hyd ports that were usually for the dump bed. I never had any foaming but did add a hydraulic cooler in case the oil got too hot while weed wiping- it never did though.

Graham

Thanks guys. Yes the transmission oil always looks perfect. I flushed it out to and replaced the oil as well. No foam or air bubbles at all. No real symptoms besides the axles won't spin when I put it into gear. No leaks anywhere. It's kind of a mystery to me.