Battery Emergency cut-off installed

quid_non

After reading several threads here about possible fires on RTVs - I elected to install a quick release main battery disconnect on my RTV900 in the event of the unthinkable. If a wiring short occurs you can quick and easily flip this arm on this unit to disconnect the battery neg terminal immediately and hopefully contain the damage. Installs in 5 min - just take off the cable on the negative post and put this in place. The negative cable now is installed in the adjacent post and makes contact with the copper lever. Got this at tractor supply for about $20.
Still would recommend carrying a fire extinguisher just in case!!

batt_disconn_2.jpg

batt_disconn_1.jpg

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
That same switch is available on Amazon for half that price, delivered. Another much better enclosed design which has a security-key is only $8 and a marine-version without is $12.... but the problem with battery fires is usually that it’s discovered too late for mere disconnect to resolve the fire... By the time a major “short” causes a battery fire the only solution is to completely remove the battery.... but the battery is held-down with brackets and cables that require tools and time.

(Not an RTV but this reminds me of the Banderante prop-jet which had a quick-release beneath the co-pilots seat which could be ejected thru the bottom of the aircraft in-flight in the event of a battery over-heat.). Perhaps a FUSIBLE LINK such as many autos have would be quicker, and more reliable than a physical switch. A short serious enough to cause a battery fire would open the link and .... problem solved. (A battery temp sensor might also be a good idea, as would a clearly visible or audible ammeter alert.

Reactions: Doc

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Are there any computer modules or relays on the RTV X models that would not take kindly to have their 12VDC completely removed? I don't know of any but the more experienced members might.

Tsunamibob

We have an x1100c model they for 4 years we have had a power shut off switch on. Nothing seems to be effected at all. I’ll take a pic or two tomorrow.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I looked through the workshop manual for our 1120D and did not see any computer or relay modules that require full-time current on which to run. We have no radio so I'll be adding the battery cut-off to my spring work. Great thread!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Everyone who is installing these cut-off devices is putting them on the negative terminal, right? That's where I put mine when I use them.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Everyone who is installing these cut-off devices is putting them on the negative terminal, right? That's where I put mine when I use them.
It's the safest way but I put mine on the positive terminal. Disconnecting the negative terminal does nothing if the positive side anywhere has grounded causing the short. I also don't mount mine on the battery, to close to the source of the problem if it's the battery.

If you need a constant 12 V feed, just add a small fuse block close to the positive side of the battery and wire from there.

This is the setup in my street rod. It will have a pull lever outside the car when finished.

Attachments

• cutoff.jpg
    cutoff.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 13

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
It's the safest way but I put mine on the positive terminal. Disconnecting the negative terminal does nothing if the positive side anywhere has grounded causing the short. ...

That is not correct. If the negative post is disconnected...then you can place ANY portion of ANY positive-post connected item to “short” or ground....and absolutely nothing will happen.

Peter James

It was a nice warm day today, 42ºF and I went out to the outer shop and turned on the 13.5KW electric heater and tinkered on my RTV900 for a couple of hours. I was not totally happy with my battery cutoff that I put on the other day and so I redid it. When I took the negative battery cable off the other day, this is what it was like.....2 pieces that could never tighten down on the battery post. I cut the broken ends off and bolted it onto the disconnect. I also turned the disconnect around to get it completely under the battery cover. Much nicer and much cleaner.
Peter
IMG_20210228_153906740 (Medium).jpgIMG_20210228_153811513 (Medium).jpgIMG_20210228_153803043 (Medium).jpg