I'd like some guidance on buying a 2004 rtv900

JEC

Hey y'all! I came across a 2004 camo rtv900 with 401 hrs on it. It is immaculate! No rust really nice and clean and has a $7000 price tag from a guy in my town. I have googled and values are hard to find. Is this a good deal? This will be my first ever utv purchase. This will be used to hunt with and be babied! Also I will probably shower it with love too! Should I go for it? Thanks! First post and loving this forum!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.

Does it have the hydraulic tilt bed (or is it manual)? I don't remember if the camo model came with it back then.

I'd give it a decent inspection (check axle boots for rips, check drive shaft going to front axle for rattle and eyeball the rest).

Does the owner have any maintenance records? Was scheduled service performed and were Kubota parts (particularly hyd fluid and filters) used?

If no tears or rattles and scheduled maintenance performed, I'd think it worth $7000.

Good luck!

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Paid $6800 for my 04 with 800 hrs on it 3 years ago after looking at more than I could count. Thought I got an excellent deal and paid $1700 more to install the Curtis/Kubota plow.

It has faithfully served me through 3 winters of Michigan snow and other use.

It came from a dealer that replaced a bad u-joint, serviced it and replaced the seat cover.

Take bczoom's advice and also possibly take it to a dealer for inspection. That's an excellent price on a low hours 900 in nice condition.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'll 2nd that. Especially since it is barely broke in with just 400 hours. Check the stuff BC mentioned, boots and maintenance records. If he had the local Kubota shop do it you are golden. Is this a one owner machine? All sure sounds good, even the price.

Good luck and welcome to Net Tractor Talk.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, and as a follow-up reply, I have a 2004 900 Worksite model with just under 400 hours. I wouldn't think of parting with it for $7K. I have a ton of extras on it but even if I removed all those, the thing is like new and worth more than $7K in my book (but my book may have sentimental value...).

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I agree with the other posters. It is almost like a demonstrator. Ask him to let you try it out find out if it has had the fluids changed. collie

JEC

Checked the boots and shaft...all good! I bought it!!!!
IMG_20160926_165041758_zpsunz770ed.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

JEC

The fluids were just changed and it has been cared for thru the local dealer. Winch, roof and atv tires...now to give it some mods, a rumble seat and a chainsaw bracket. And some deer stand trips!

JEC

Doc, the guy I bought it from is second or third owner. He put 25 hrs on it in two years. I know its been seen for regular maintenance by our local dealer....check this out...the dealer referred me the sellers number.... That's how I found the rtv! I asked dealer if he had any used....told me no and said he had a customer looking to sell....so glad I called them!!!

OrangeBuggy

Welcome to the forum. I'm no expert by any means but it does sound and looks like you got yourself a good deal. Now the fun begins. You well need one of everything....lol.

JEC

I have rented a rtv500 the last two years multiple times. So getting a trailer and this 900 should make the hunting and camping trips so much more enjoyable. Now to start the accessory shopping! ;-)

Fitch

For what it's worth, I have a 2004 RTV with 2500 hours on it. I purchased it new with the the fiberglass roof, work light, and water filter kits added. It's had regular maintenance done by myself.

The things I've done to modify/repair it other than routine maintenance (oil and filter changes, grease, etc.):

Installed the front one piece driveshaft kit when the OEM two piece driveshaft u-joints gave up the ghost.

Removed the water filter. It caused problems with fuel flow.

Replaced all 4 front boots (and while I was at it all the seals).

I'm about to replace the front struts - the shocks are shot.

Rebuilt the bed after horse manure got under the bedlinen and rotted it out. The new bed was sprayed and the fiberglass bed liner thrown away. The bed sides had rotted as well so replaced them while I was at it.

Reupholstered the front seat twice with heavier duty material.

Replaced the vent cap o-ring on the transmission.

Replaced the battery with an identical replacement.

-----------

The tires are still the original OEM tires. The engine doesn't use any oil between oil changes.

The headlights are still the original bulbs. I've had to change out two bulbs in the work lighting kit.

You will enjoy your new machine. It looks like new. Mine is dirty, and missing decals, but it's reliable as gravity.