Newbie Considering X1140, Feedback Welcome

TechJunkie

One other major difference between the RTV's and other UTVs is the go pedal. Unlike a gas/brake set up like our cars and trucks, the Kubota uses something I've heard just called a go pedal. Mash it and it goes, let it go and the RTV stops. In low gear this can be abrupt until you get the hang of it. One of our orchards is on a ridge top with a steep gravel service road. In our truck, if you're not on the brakes all the way down. you will miss the turn and wind up about 50 feet down a holler. With the RTV, if one of us had a foot that slipped off the pedal or God forbid, had a medical issue, releasing the pedal, even down hill would cause it to stop. Because my Wife and grown kids use the machine as well, I find this comforting and a good reason to go with the RTV. The hydraulically controlled bed is another. We have some mighty big loads of gravel and firewood in the bed and no way could I have lifted that bed into dump position. I think the 1140 camo that Hunter posted is one of the best looking RTVs I've seen. I am partial to camo. Good luck with your decision.
Ohio, I agree, the camo looks great. I have always been somewhat partial to the orange which might make the 3 mile trip into town a little safer but I would not hesitate to buy a camo version if that is what they had in stock. Two dealers told me that right now ordering will take longer to get than the ones they are currently waiting on for inventory since their orders were placed months ago and they still have not received them. In our area, most are completely out with waiting lists. My closest dealer just happens to have one coming in that wasn't spoken for. He also just received an X1120 in orange. I have one more dealer to call. If he has a camo X1140 available I have yet another decision to make!

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
We chose the X1120 in Orange for safety as well. That is why I'm always lusting after camo, because I would have liked it better. But we travel between fields on township roads and anything you can do to help visibility is a plus. some drivers treat the townships roads like its Daytona. I am sad that folks are having to deal with waiting lists but it is the reality of the times I guess. We also wanted an X1140 but felt its increased turning radius might be a problem on our trails. That larger bed would be NICE. When I retire, I may sell the X1120 and get an X1100. That AC would really help in the summer.

TechJunkie

We chose the X1120 in Orange for safety as well. That is why I'm always lusting after camo, because I would have liked it better. But we travel between fields on township roads and anything you can do to help visibility is a plus. some drivers treat the townships roads like its Daytona. I am sad that folks are having to deal with waiting lists but it is the reality of the times I guess. We also wanted an X1140 but felt its increased turning radius might be a problem on our trails. That larger bed would be NICE. When I retire, I may sell the X1120 and get an X1100. That AC would really help in the summer.
My thoughts exactly. Where I live is pretty much wide open, I do have a few trails cut through my 15 acres but the X1140 would fit through those fine. Hunting is all field edges as we don't own the woods and only have permission to hunt. My wife likes seeing the deer at our place so I respect that and hunt other property and leave her wildlife alone. I considered the X1100C but my needs would make it a hassle. The property maintenance I need to do requires me to get on and off a lot and doors would make it difficult. I really like the idea of a cab otherwise though.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My thoughts exactly. Where I live is pretty much wide open, I do have a few trails cut through my 15 acres but the X1140 would fit through those fine. Hunting is all field edges as we don't own the woods and only have permission to hunt. My wife likes seeing the deer at our place so I respect that and hunt other property and leave her wildlife alone. I considered the X1100C but my needs would make it a hassle. The property maintenance I need to do requires me to get on and off a lot and doors would make it difficult. I really like the idea of a cab otherwise though.
Early on I thought the same about doors being an extra hassle. As mentioned previously I had a 900 and a 1140. Neither had doors. It gets cold where I am and I used the RTV's in all four seasons. 30 degrees though was a challenge. Would not want to be out very long. Now I have the x1100c with doors and love it. They are so nice with roll up glass windows, heat and A/C and easy in and out. No problem. Like you I have frequent stops to load and unload whatever I am moving around that day. Truly easy peezy And in the cold I can just have on a tshirt and be fine. And in the summer when I get caught in the rain I stay dry. Loving the cab more every season that I use it.

All of mine I have bought used, used them for a few years and sold for a little more than I paid for them. You might consider the used market since new ones are rare for now. RTV's are not as much in demand as the go fast play versions so they are not run as hard and many times you can find a few year old one that is close to new. I did.

Last edited:

TechJunkie

Early on I thought the same about doors being an extra hassle. As mentioned previously I had a 900 and a 1140. Neither had doors. It gets cold where I am and I used the RTV's in all four seasons. 30 degrees though was a challenge. Would not want to be out very long. Now I have the x1100c with doors and love it. They are so nice with roll up glass windows, heat and A/C and easy in and out. No problem. Like you I have frequent stops to load and unload whatever I am moving around that day. Truly easy peezy And in the cold I can just have on a tshirt and be fine. And in the summer when I get caught in the rain I stay dry. Loving the cab more every season that I use it.

All of mine I have bought used, used them for a few years and sold for a little more than I paid for them. You might consider the used market since new ones are rare for now. RTV's are not as much in demand as the go fast play versions so they are not run as hard and many times you can find a few year old one that is close to new. I did.
Thank you for the thoughts Doc. I initially started looking for something with two row seating and I still needed to have a good size bed for property maintenance when not taking extra people. Only the X1140 and Kawasaki Mule seem to fit the bill. Really more of a want than an absolute need. I have two grown sons and between them five grandchildren so the extra seats wold come in handy a few times a year. Concerning used, I found almost none around me and the ones I did seemed to be previously used on job sites and that wouldn't be an option IMHO. I would imagine they see less care and maintenance. My local dealer has one that should be here any time he has my name on. I have a couple of other dealers to call on Monday but they are an hour+ away. I would like to have more than one price in hand before I make my final decision. I have been keeping my eyes out on the used listings, however.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I would NEVER buy one coming from a job site. They would have been driven by different people who would each have treated it differently. Some would care less about the machine since it's not theirs. And hours would probably be high or else they would not be selling. So I totally agree with that strategy.

Good luck in your hunt. You will zero in on the right one for you I'm sure.

TechJunkie

I would NEVER buy one coming from a job site. They would have been driven by different people who would each have treated it differently. Some would care less about the machine since it's not theirs. And hours would probably be high or else they would not be selling. So I totally agree with that strategy.

Good luck in your hunt. You will zero in on the right one for you I'm sure.
Doc, if you don't mind I ask. I notice you have the aluminum rims on yours. I intend to keep what I buy for a very long time lord willing. My experience with polished aluminum rims on vehicles is that they look great for five or six years and slowly the clear coat is chipped and they start to oxidize. The one the dealer has coming in has the aluminum rims and I asked if he would swap for the steel rims (along with the lower price) if I desired. I like the look of the aluminum rims I just have no experience with the long term durability of Kubota's aluminum rims. I have steel rims on my ATV and a quick wire wheel and good paint and I am right as rain for a few more years.

On the fence on this one as I will be using the RTV for property maintenance and hunting. I am not as much into the bling as durability. Steel rusts, aluminum oxidizes. (Man am I overthinking EVERYTHING)

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good question, one that I had not considered before. Mine is a 2015 model. The wheels came with it and I believe they were on it when new, since a 2nd set of wheels were not offered in the deal. They are holding up good, no issues but I've only had this RTV since Dec 2020.
I hope others who have had aluminum wheels for a longer time will chime in.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
TechJunkie… I will first say that I am not a fan of jazzzy wheels. Some folks really have to have bright flashy wheels….and I place more import on durability and maintainability.
Aluminum and Magnesium wheels are lighter and since they are “unsprung” weight will give a slightly better “ride” IF…and that is a BIG IF…. If the suspension is tuned sufficiently to accomodate them.
I do not believe the RTV series has a sufficiently sprung suspension. Our family has both a RTV and a Kawasaki Mule. The Mule has a much better suspension …due as much to it’s increased wheelbase as it’s width…and so it rides better than the RTV. BUT…..the RTV is a more seriously RUGGED vehicle all-around. I do not think aluminum wheels are anything other than “flash” on an RTV. Steel wheels is what I have on our RTV and…it’s true as you say…. much easier to maintain. IMO

TechJunkie

TechJunkie… I will first say that I am not a fan of jazzzy wheels. Some folks really have to have bright flashy wheels….and I place more import on durability and maintainability.
Aluminum and Magnesium wheels are lighter and since they are “unsprung” weight will give a slightly better “ride” IF…and that is a BIG IF…. If the suspension is tuned sufficiently to accomodate them.
I do not believe the RTV series has a sufficiently sprung suspension. Our family has both a RTV and a Kawasaki Mule. The Mule has a much better suspension …due as much to it’s increased wheelbase as it’s width…and so it rides better than the RTV. BUT…..the RTV is a more seriously RUGGED vehicle all-around. I do not think aluminum wheels are anything other than “flash” on an RTV. Steel wheels is what I have on our RTV and…it’s true as you say…. much easier to maintain. IMO
Thanks geohorn. The one the dealer is getting in had the aluminum rims. I told him I had to have the steel rims and ATV tires. He has agreed to swap them. I just wanted to be sure I was making the best decision. I intend to keep this machine a long time and steel rims have never let me down on my outdoor equipment yet. If something should happen they are also cheaper to replace.

Reactions: Doc

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
TechJunkie, when I got the gray steel rims, I wanted to do a quick comparison before mounting all four. I had the same concerns you did. And the Kubota aluminum rims are pretty nice rims to be caked in red clay mud all the time. I am much more satisfied with the look and don't worry how muddy they get. As I said earlier, I put the original four wheels and tires on a shelf to use for parades, etc. And hopefully will help the resale value if the RTV is ever sold. It is very expensive to buy the aluminum rims from a dealer as I believe you have to buy the rim and tire together. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20171109_174119.jpg
    20171109_174119.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 20171110_162948.jpg
    20171110_162948.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 20171110_081245.jpg
    20171110_081245.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17

TechJunkie

TechJunkie, when I got the gray steel rims, I wanted to do a quick comparison before mounting all four. I had the same concerns you did. And the Kubota aluminum rims are pretty nice rims to be caked in red clay mud all the time. I am much more satisfied with the look and don't worry how muddy they get. As I said earlier, I put the original four wheels and tires on a shelf to use for parades, etc. And hopefully will help the resale value if the RTV is ever sold. It is very expensive to buy the aluminum rims from a dealer as I believe you have to buy the rim and tire together. Hope this helps.
Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower, thank you for the comment. I guess that is a thought to take delivery with the aluminum rims and get a set of steel rims and tires. Just not sure I would every swap them. I can get stuck in a rut once I get something setup the way I like or use it. I really like the look of the aluminum rims. Then again, for the money I would save, I could buy some cool accessories. Man can you find a lot to buy for these things! haha. I definitely would not want to use them where I hunt as they would add so seriously shiny bling to the bota.

ItBmine

I like the look of the aluminum rims, but every atv I have, has rock dings in the steel rims. So I don't bother upgrading.

If you're looking for cool accessories TechJunkie, get the winch mount and wire harnesses from Orange Aftermarket like I have, where you can use your winch in both the front and rear receiver hitch. Allows you to pull from either end if you need to.

TechJunkie

I like the look of the aluminum rims, but every atv I have, has rock dings in the steel rims. So I don't bother upgrading.

If you're looking for cool accessories TechJunkie, get the winch mount and wire harnesses from Orange Aftermarket like I have, where you can use your winch in both the front and rear receiver hitch. Allows you to pull from either end if you need to.
Thank you ItBemine. You know I have been contemplating that. Plus the extended hitch and HST guard, and LED lights front and back, and hanging storage behind driver and passenger seats, and bed extensions for more volume in bed, and mirrors, and,and, and. My wife has no idea what her approval of me getting this is really going to cost! Haha

TechJunkie

Respects, but she's thinking how much it's going to cost you...for her approval.
Frodoz737 spoken like someone with experience. I try not to think about it but yes, she will extract her price for this. A bathroom remodel is already on the drawing board and she has also mentioned new flooring and kitchen countertops. But IT IS WORTH IT! haha

FTG-05

If you're going to be taking your RTV on 3-5 mile trips and haven't ruled out gas powered machines, I would add the Kubota RTV-XG850 to your list.

48 hp vs. 28 hp for the diesels; CVT vs. hydrostatic. ~40 mph vs. 28 mph. Towing and payload numbers either the same or better vs. the diesels.
Has a Go Switch vs. a Slow Switch.

These pics were taken approximately 5 road miles from my home and property (~40 acres); however they were taken as part of a 15-16 mile round trip from my house to the river and then back via a different route. All on 1 1/2 or 2 lane rural county roads (no major arterials). I would never attempt this with my old -900. Light bars are Nilights (unknown for the square ones); tires are ITP Blackwater Evolutions taken off my -900 before I sold it. I suspect they aren't going to last long on pavement!

ECNRYpx.jpg

4hvXUwt.jpg

I love this thing!

TechJunkie

If you're going to be taking your RTV on 3-5 mile trips and haven't ruled out gas powered machines, I would add the Kubota RTV-XG850 to your list.

48 hp vs. 28 hp for the diesels; CVT vs. hydrostatic. ~40 mph vs. 28 mph. Towing and payload numbers either the same or better vs. the diesels.
Has a Go Switch vs. a Slow Switch.

These pics were taken approximately 5 road miles from my home and property (~40 acres); however they were taken as part of a 15-16 mile round trip from my house to the river and then back via a different route. All on 1 1/2 or 2 lane rural county roads (no major arterials). I would never attempt this with my old -900. Light bars are Nilights (unknown for the square ones); tires are ITP Blackwater Evolutions taken off my -900 before I sold it. I suspect they aren't going to last long on pavement!

ECNRYpx.jpg

4hvXUwt.jpg

I love this thing!
FTG-05 Great looking machine. I have looked at every RTV/UTV on the market. If I was to go gas the 850 would definitely be on the list. Speed isn't really a concern for the half dozen trips I will make with it to town or a friends. My main concern is long term durability and in the end bed size. I won't be trading in and buying another one regardless what I buy. I put up with my current 4wheeler for 22 years with a small trailer. What I buy next will have to last at least that long, hopefully longer and it's current issues include the top end of the engine. It runs but time isn't on its side. Nothing against the 850 but CVT isn't my first choice and while these gas engines are well built I don't see them having the hours on them a diesel can. Also, I need a RTV/UTV for maintenance around my property which will require pulling/hauling etc, and I need a good size bed for what I do to hopefully leave the trailer in the shed more often and I prefer one with the extra row of seats for family and hunting. I am hopeful the HST will be up to that task with good maintenance for a very long time. Trust me this decision has had my head spinning for over 100 hours of research and asking everyone I know, or can find, about various units. Another one I was considering was the Kawasaki MULE Pro FXT.

BTW: You never know what is true or not but one dealer I spoke with said that at the October Owners Meeting this year Kubota told them that at the meeting in October 2022 they would be announcing new RTV(s). On the table he was told is a two row SideKick. He said that speed was a consideration on what they announce in 2022. Again, this is just dealer speak and who knows what will actually happen. I asked if he had any information to indicate that Kubota would be speeding up the Diesel RTVs and he said that wasn't mentioned. Of course I was looking for an X1140 so I didn't expect him to confirm even if that was the case. I need one now and waiting until late next year to see what might be coming isn't in the cards as the speed isn't my biggest need/concern. Thank you for the great pictures and comments.