RTV900 Injection problem

rwf642

I removed the valve cover and valves are operating like should, put pressure gauge on mech fuel pump and it read zero. I removed fuel pump cleaned rubber diaphram, housing etc, reassemble tested with gauge still zero but pumping fuel adequately. When I put finger over outlet (in fuel) it stops pumping when it developes pressure., when I remove finger it sprays out the outlet. Fuel pump ok! I took injector pumps apart again and found that above the spring at the outlet of the pump there is a disc with a smaller hole than the outlet at the flaired nut. I tried to remove the disc with a small punch but it seems to be stuck. Im wondering if thats where the pressure is developed? I dont have a parts diagram for that pump to see if that disc is suppose to come out. When I feel around through the larger top hole in the flare it feels there might be a spring in there between the disc and the outlet hole. Any diagrams would be helpful or parts breakdown.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
This is the best I could find at Kubotas website

Attachments

• KubotaPump.jpg
    KubotaPump.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 167

rwf642

Does anyone know where to get an exploded view of the parts of the individual injection pumps. Or has anyone taken them apart. I will post a picture later of what I'm working with.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Here is everything that's in the 1100 manual and I believe the 900 manual is the same, big lack of detail on the fuel pump.

Attachments

• RTV1100 Valve Adjustment.jpg
    RTV1100 Valve Adjustment.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 212
  • RTV1100 Fuel System Timing.jpg
    RTV1100 Fuel System Timing.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 212
  • RTV1100 Fuel Pump Specs.jpg
    RTV1100 Fuel Pump Specs.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 210
  • RTV1100 Fuel Pressure A.jpg
    RTV1100 Fuel Pressure A.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 207
  • RTV1100 Fuel Pressure B.jpg
    RTV1100 Fuel Pressure B.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 205
  • RTV1100 Fuel Nozzle A.jpg
    RTV1100 Fuel Nozzle A.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 212
  • RTV1100 Fuel Nozzle B.jpg
    RTV1100 Fuel Nozzle B.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 208
  • RTV1100 Fuel Nozzle C.jpg
    RTV1100 Fuel Nozzle C.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 209

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
One more for good measure, compression testing.

Attachments

• RTV1100 Compression Test.jpg
    RTV1100 Compression Test.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 154

rwf642

:thankyou2:Spud Hauler Thank You! The exploded view of the injector nozzle is perfect but nothing like that for the injector pump. m I worked several hours on Weds only to decide that it was the pump and I would have to step up to the plate if I want to use it anytime soon. I am sending the pump and injectors to Mylex International in Mendenhall,Ms for a rebuild, they have done some great work for me in the past and they have the equipment to make sure it works right. I think the water in the fuel (last summer, a year ago) is finally coming to haunt me. I thank everyone for their help with this. The response has been overwhelming with ideas. It a great site and I will stay tuned in. Thanks Bordercollie! I will use that manual you can count on it.http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/g2/thankyou2.gif

AdamsRepair

I have rebuilt many many D902 engines for RTV's.. All of these suggestions are great.
Always best to go back to the basics. AIR Fuel Compression. I test run every engine, so I have found all kinds of little issues with these little buggers. AIR= remove tube from intake, then like suggested pull valve cover see if valves are moving when turned over. Fuel sucking air in fuel has been a biggie for me it seems like you are getting enough fuel to bleeder but little bits of air keep it from getting enough fuel rail pressure in the injector pumps. even little air bubbles compress not creating enough breaking pressure to lift the pintle of the injector. Lift pump pressure is also another good check. have run into that many times. So now Still on the fuel part...If everything is great to this point, without a injector plunger pressure check gauge, you can take all injector lines off make sure you have fuel to the bleed screw after having messed with it. pull the glow pulgs so it will turn over freely and hit the starter, the fuel shots coming out of the injector pump should shoot over 2-3 ft high or higher or in your eye..then roll it over by hand slowly and watch the fuel come up and crown on top of each fitting. Dab wipe or gently blow the fuel off of the fittings until the little V shaped seating area is empty then roll it over by hand again they should all produce approx the same amount with one revolution. Now compression Book says 456-512 but they will still start at 250 psi with some effort. Timing of the injector pump can't change dramatically like all the sudden unless some thing broke. i.e injecting pump gear or cam or injc pump plungers or rollers. But every one I have rebuilt have to be re timed due to small amounts of wear on all of the above items. Checking and adjusting the timing every 100 hrs will keep you in good trim. I have had a rebuild with the timing off about 8 deg's and low compression due to the rings had not seated, start real hard, but it smoked popped and farted around before I could get it to start. But it started. Checking timing is easy on the bench but in the Machine it is awkward but do able. You have already had the injection pump out so you could easily change the timing. If it comes to that. When you turn the eng over by hand checking fuel delivery at the injc fittings when the fuel just starts to move on plunger #1 stop and pull the rubber plug to see the timing marks on the flywheel. I do it 8 or 9 times, turn the engine real slow and watch really close for the slightest movement. dab the fuel out of #1 until you can see it down in the straight part of the fitting seat but no fuel is in the V part. That makes it easier to see when the fuel starts to move. Remove shims from under injection pump to advance it. which is almost always what you need to do to compensate for normal wear. 17 deg's to 18.5 degs says in book. 19 deg's best power but starts a little harder. Geezz I forgot fuel start spring.. what was I thinking. Had that problem once tooo. Under the cover that has the fuel and stop levers on it is a tiny spring that pulls the rack to the start position. But you can tell if it might be this if you hold it wide open while trying to start it. The timing marks are hard to see, the pointer is just a center punch mark on the backing plate and the flywheel marks are faint, so find them and use metal marker or chalk on them. And by the way the shims under the injection pump look like just one or maybe 2 shims but look real close I always find at least 3 shims stuck together. Book says a .05 mm shim changes the timing about 5 deg's. I always end up pulling more than that to change 5 deg's. Good golly I wrote a book..

Last edited:

AdamsRepair

From the top of the pump you get the delivery valve spring, valve, seat and shim. The rest of the parts come out the bottom, but I don't advise taking it apart each plunger has to be timed to the rack in the right starting position.
I've done it but special attetion has to be made. each individual plunger assembly and all its parts need to go back in the same hole it came out of.

Pic's of gummy Biodiesel 902 pump.

Attachments

• biodiesel 001.jpg
    biodiesel 001.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Biodiesel 003.jpg
    Biodiesel 003.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 155

AdamsRepair

I should have read this string better...

On the lift pump, once I had a lift pump with just one check valve working. It pumped fuel seemed OK but it was just not enough,, I can't find anywhere what the lift pump pressure should be. Humm!!

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
You need to add oil to your deisel.the fuel these days don't have enough lubricant in it.lots of deisel truck fuel pumps are failing because of this.if your lift pump goes out your main injector pump will soon follow.I add two stroke motor oil to my tank everytime I fill up.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
I was going to suggest using an auxiliary fuel tank and try gravity feeding to eliminate air and any suction issues.

Set up something like one of these and hang it above to force fuel into the system and then see what the pump does.

If it starts and runs, the system is purged and the try hooking up the existing fuel line system.

Just a thought.

Attachments

• Fuel test tank.jpg
    Fuel test tank.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 129

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Wow...Adams Repair... Volumes of information. Thanks for taking the time and sharing your knowledge.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Hope you don't mind Adams Repairs, but I did some line editing to your article to make it easier to read because it such a great piece of useful information.

Here's a copy for reference.

Attachments

• RTV Repair Tips by Adams Repair.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 57

rwf642

Hey Ya'll The fuel system problem is solved/repaired. I just received my pump and injectors back from Mylex Int. in Mendenhall, MS. They rebuilt the pump and set the correct pressure in the injectors for a total of about $600. Installed it all tonight and it fired right up! I'm sure the reason there is no info in the manual about the injection pump is because it takes the right test equipment and training to repair them. Even the best mechanic can't do it without the proper equipment. So much for taking on that task. I'll stay focused on what I am capable of and leave the pumps to the pros.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The dealer would have probably just stuck a new one in at no telling what price. Good job solving the problem. :tiphat:

AdamsRepair

COOl back up an running.

My pump guy in Spokane wont rebuild these little EXEcel pumps. He says it is just as cost effective to buy a new one. I don't know just taking his word for it..