Time to change the tires on the RTV900

Tact

These are the original tires on my 2004 which are now in need of replacing. They are the OTR 440 Mag Off Road tires and they have held up great. 25x11-12 on the rears and 25x10-12 on the fronts. Replacement cost are about $90/tire on eBay.

I really do not want to spend a lot more than that. I'd like to go a little bigger without rubbing issues. Any recommendation on what to go with or should I just stay with the original brand and size?

I use it for mixed used, yard clean up and for hunting. I don't do a lot of off road stuff and I don't want a tread pattern that will tear my yard up either, but I don't want a turf tread either.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Dennis will probably chime in before long, he has a" specialty in use" degree on these tires which I call Work Site tires. collie

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
YOU have the off-road tires that look like tractor tires? Or the tires known as worksite, that look like auto/truck mud type tires?.......Have had both and for my use the worksite are totally preferable as far as longevity goes. I don't do a lot of mud, sand, or loose dirt. I do some pasture grass and bare firm ground but a lot of asphalt and gravel.

The longevity of the worksite, based upon 2 sets of them vs 2 sets of the "off road" ag type is that the worksite last me twice as many hours. I don't have an odometer so I go by my hour meter. Yes, for the pasture and the woods the ag type do get better traction; but the trade off is tearing up the soil in the pasture. Our pastures are in a fragile state due to the multi-year drought so every bit of damage is noticeable. WE HAVE NO GRASS............Anyway, for me, lpngevity is what matters.........

Recently on here, a fella, had some like new work site tires for a good deal. $75 each. I did a lot of research about prices at that time and it came in:
Dealer before freight $180
Independent dealer $113

Again, this is on the worksite tire not the ag type. The ag type for me,runs $20 more.

So, if you can get the REAL worksite tire that is mounted on the out the door RTV, not a wanna be look alike for $90.......get it and buy 4 for me. I need them bad. Am running on the bare tread now and am counting pennies to break down finally to get them..........

Tact

YOU have the off-road tires that look like tractor tires? Or the tires known as worksite, that look like auto/truck mud type tires?.......Have had both and for my use the worksite are totally preferable as far as longevity goes. I don't do a lot of mud, sand, or loose dirt. I do some pasture grass and bare firm ground but a lot of asphalt and gravel.

The longevity of the worksite, based upon 2 sets of them vs 2 sets of the "off road" ag type is that the worksite last me twice as many hours. I don't have an odometer so I go by my hour meter. Yes, for the pasture and the woods the ag type do get better traction; but the trade off is tearing up the soil in the pasture. Our pastures are in a fragile state due to the multi-year drought so every bit of damage is noticeable. WE HAVE NO GRASS............Anyway, for me, lpngevity is what matters.........

Recently on here, a fella, had some like new work site tires for a good deal. $75 each. I did a lot of research about prices at that time and it came in:
Dealer before freight $180
Independent dealer $113

Again, this is on the worksite tire not the ag type. The ag type for me,runs $20 more.

So, if you can get the REAL worksite tire that is mounted on the out the door RTV, not a wanna be look alike for $90.......get it and buy 4 for me. I need them bad. Am running on the bare tread now and am counting pennies to break down finally to get them..........
Honestly, I prefer the more aggressive tread which is currently on my OTR 440's. It's aggressive enough if I want to get offroad, but it won't tear my zoysia grass if doing yard work.

I was thinking too, how much larger can I go without having to put in a lift kit? I have heard of some members installing 27" with no issues.

Tact

I run 27" ITP Blackwater Evolution tires with 1" lift. Someone recently posted on here that they were running 27" on stock suspension with no rub. I can't confirm that.

Where are you located?

Here's a link to a thread about my tires.

http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16819

Hey Richard. I'm in Tennessee near Memphis. I too read somewhere a member was running 27's but when he had a load and in a turn he got some light rubbing.

Tact

Blackwater Evolution tires look great. I found them on eBay for roughly $150 each. I just can't spend that much right now.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm a fan of the Maxxis Bighorn's.

Enough bite that they've never left me stuck but not so aggressive as to tear up the lawn.

The 25x10x12 size stood 26.5" tall when I got them. No rubbing unless under extreme conditions (loaded with firewood, down a steep hill then make sharp corner, I'd get a slight rub on front, inside corner wheel in the turn).

1402-937-99.jpg

Tact

I'm a fan of the Maxxis Bighorn's.

Enough bite that they've never left me stuck but not so aggressive as to tear up the lawn.

The 25x10x12 size stood 26.5" tall when I got them. No rubbing unless under extreme conditions (loaded with firewood, down a steep hill then make sharp corner, I'd get a slight rub on front, inside corner wheel in the turn).

1402-937-99.jpg
What's up, Brian? Good to see you're still here!

Tact

Thanks Fred. Nice to see you pop in here again.

Yes.

I don't have a ton of hours but wear is nominal and I've had them for 12 years and no signs of dry-rot or cracking.

Brian....do you think I would have rubbing issues with this tire if I went with a 26x10-12 all the way around? I just want a bigger tire than stock size without issue and no lift kit.

Tact

Last question, Brian. Do you run these on asphalt at all? I run my RTV on both pavement and off road. My concern is that these Bighorns are not rated as high as the original OTR 440's, which show a load rating of 1675-1745# at 24psi. From what I can find is that the Bighorns are rated at 480# at 7psi. The RTV requires the tires be run at 20psi. However, both the OTRs and the Bighorns are both 6 ply tires.

I like the look of the Bighorn and I can get them in a larger size, but I'm concerned about these not being as heavy duty as the OTR's with the weight of the machine, and also that I run these both on and off road conditions.

Now I'm really confused.

ovrszd

I've got a set of individual tire scales. Next time I have the RTV at the shop I'll weigh it.

Until then, the overall weight of the vehicle is somewhere around 2000lb. It's heavy on the rear so,,,,, for sake of discussion,,,,, let's say each rear tire is carrying 550lbs with the bed empty and no driver????

So,,,, a tire that's rated at 480lbs is overloaded under that condition???

With an RTV, which has the capability to haul tremendous loads, the tires need to have a very high load rating for their size.

That's what I was referring to earlier about ply rating and load capacity.

I hauled several loads of dirt today. I'll lowball and say 1000lbs of dirt in the bed. 90% of it carried by the rear tires. So now my rear tires are carrying approximately 1000lbs each.

FTG-05

I run 27" ITP Blackwater Evolution tires with 1" lift. Someone recently posted on here that they were running 27" on stock suspension with no rub. I can't confirm that.

Where are you located?

Here's a link to a thread about my tires.

http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16819

I run 26" on all four corners, BW Evolutions; 8 ply tires, will carry the load of an RTV plus it's cargo (+1100 lbs).

Personally, I wouldn't run anything less than 6 ply in a RTV.

And they look great to boot!

IMG_20160409_182441125%20Large_zpsg2nvvrfe.jpg

Tact

I run 26" on all four corners, BW Evolutions; 8 ply tires, will carry the load of an RTV plus it's cargo (+1100 lbs).

Personally, I wouldn't run anything less than 6 ply in a RTV.

And they look great to boot!

IMG_20160409_182441125%20Large_zpsg2nvvrfe.jpg

What sizes do you run on front and rear? Same widths all the way around?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
On the Bighorns, I run 19PSI on the rear, 13-15 on the front.

When I got them 12 years ago, the 25x10x12 stood 26.5" tall. The Bighorns were pretty new to the market so I don't know if they've tweaked things over the years to get them more true-to-size (i.e. they now actually stand 25"). If they're still running tall and you go with 26's, they may stand 27.5" tall in which case you "may" have rubbing issues but I honestly can't say. Before I put the lift kit on, I would occasionally get a rub on the front during extreme conditions.

I don't run on pavement too much but when I do, they run nice but the RTV in general doesn't track a perfectly straight line and likes to wander a bit at high speeds.

As a couple others have mentioned, consider the weight rating and your needs. The Bighorns are on the low end of the different tires capabilities.