Time to change the tires on the RTV900

Tact

Thanks for all the info, guys. Here are my thoughts and what I have narrowed it down to.

My main concern is the weight of the RTV and the conditions on which I drive it on a daily basis, both asphalt and trails. Also, on occasion, I do have a pretty heavy load in the back. These factors are very important to the load rating of the tires.

If I want to save $$$ I'll go back with the OTR 440's, since they are rated to hold the loads of the RTV, and they have served me well for over 12 years. I can buy a set of these for $358 shipped.

However, I have always wanted a bigger tire as I've always thought the 25" tires just looked too small. So, if I want to go bigger, now is the time to do it as the next set will hopefully be another 12 years down the line.

If I go bigger then it's obviously going to cost me more $$$. I've looked at so many tires from you guys' recommendations and it's pretty confusing. So many of these tires don't have load ratings posted on their sites, and I haven't been able to find out a lot of info. So if I go bigger I've narrowed it down to two tires. Mainly because of their reviews and both tires are 8 ply, and I really like the looks of their tread patterns. I've also decided to go to a 26"x11"-12 tire all the way around.

The first option is the GBC Dirt Commander. I can buy a set of these at $428 shipped.

The second is the ITP Blackwater Evolution. I can buy a set of these for $512 shipped.

I'm going to decide on something by tomorrow.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Tact, I have had a lot of different tires and I used them till they went bad. My favorite is the Blackwater Evolution and use the 26 " on my 2011 900. They held up well but as Zoom noticed in a picture I had posted, they did start to develop some crazing after just a couple of years. I ran over a huge stub and ruined one tire. so I ordered another set of BE and put them on my second set of rims. Now at least I have spares. I doubt they would last as long as your original set did. However, mine outlasted hour wise the many other tires I have used since 2005 on the 2 RTVs I have had. collie.

Tact

Tact, I have had a lot of different tires and I used them till they went bad. My favorite is the Blackwater Evolution and use the 26 " on my 2011 900. They held up well but as Zoom noticed in a picture I had posted, they did start to develop some crazing after just a couple of years. I ran over a huge stub and ruined one tire. so I ordered another set of BE and put them on my second set of rims. Now at least I have spares. I doubt they would last as long as your original set did. However, mine outlasted hour wise the many other tires I have used since 2005 on the 2 RTVs I have had. collie.

Any idea if the crazing was caused by climate or age?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Tact, it wasn't age because they had only been on my machine a few years. The set I have now was manufactured about 6 months before I bought them. I 'll check the date on the old set when I go to the barn in the morning. I think tires aren't made like they used to be as far as sun exposure or maybe the sun is worse ..... Even on my truck, which is 23 yrs old and currently at 69,000 miles, has had the 2 outside exposed tires, still in warranty, go bad under the carport with just 3'000 miles. That side was exposed to the sun rays all day. now I park my truck in the 2nd bay and the Kubota in that one. That was about 2 years ago and so the Kubota has been there since.
I do like the long lasting ,tall lugs on the blackwaters and the sidewalls are thick too. . I'll post when I can tomorrow about the date. I don't know about the longevity since I went with a whole new set. I do think though that with the hours I put on my machine, the BE's serve me well here on this cattle farm. bordercollie

Hope it's OK to add this here as I was going to do my own post. I never saw what year Tact's 900 was if it makes a difference. If the 26"x11"-12 black water evo works without a lift I'm sold. Tact I will wait till you get yours. I'm guessing the dealer in NY. I am in no hurry.I have a leased 2014 kubota x900 had turf tires,asked the dealer to put ag tires on. The tires have 20 hours on them. As you know they are not worth a crap in mud. I have searched but still unsure wether to stick with 25-10R12 or go bigger. I have a 160 acre tract in southeast Indiana and do not farm. My home sits in a valley and have hills 360 around. I do have 100 ash tree tops that need cut and that is why the different tires are needed. How big of a tire will fit factory steel rims? So confusing for a newbie and I realize you guys get tired of tire questions. I just don't want to make a mistake because I will order online. Thanks for any help and watching to see what Tact ends up with.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
splitlogger, Welcome to the forum.
There are some threads on here about all the tires I have had and the BE's are still my favorite. I use 26"..11 rear and 9 in front.No lift kit. They sure take abuse and have the thick rim protect rubber.. If I were getting tires mounted again,I 'd not use rubber valve stems but the metal ones . I have the stem protectors but the metal valve stems are superior in the woods.
Tact, I will check the manuf. date and post during lunch- I don't have one of those smart phones to post with. bordercollie

edit to and link http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15346&highlight=blackwater+evolution+tires

Tact

Hope it's OK to add this here as I was going to do my own post. I never saw what year Tact's 900 was if it makes a difference. If the 26"x11"-12 black water evo works without a lift I'm sold. Tact I will wait till you get yours. I'm guessing the dealer in NY. I am in no hurry.I have a leased 2014 kubota x900 had turf tires,asked the dealer to put ag tires on. The tires have 20 hours on them. As you know they are not worth a crap in mud. I have searched but still unsure wether to stick with 25-10R12 or go bigger. I have a 160 acre tract in southeast Indiana and do not farm. My home sits in a valley and have hills 360 around. I do have 100 ash tree tops that need cut and that is why the different tires are needed. How big of a tire will fit factory steel rims? So confusing for a newbie and I realize you guys get tired of tire questions. I just don't want to make a mistake because I will order online. Thanks for any help and watching to see what Tact ends up with.
splitlogger....my machine is a 2004. If you search some tire threads here you will find that there are a couple of members who have put 27x11-12 on all four corners and do no have any rubbing issues. I don't recall what tire they put on. I personally am putting on 26x11-12 all the way around.....and I'm leaning towards the ITP BEs. They will cost about $100 extra compared to the GBC Dirt Commanders.

splitlogger, Welcome to the forum.
There are some threads on here about all the tires I have had and the BE's are still my favorite. I use 26"..11 rear and 9 in front.No lift kit. They sure take abuse and have the thick rim protect rubber.. If I were getting tires mounted again,I 'd not use rubber valve stems but the metal ones . I have the stem protectors but the metal valve stems are superior in the woods.
Tact, I will check the manuf. date and post during lunch- I don't have one of those smart phones to post with. bordercollie

edit to and link http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15346&highlight=blackwater+evolution+tires

OK....thanks.

Looking at the link, the comment by Peanut I really don't understand. Saying that 11s would be too wide for the fronts and is not a good idea, because having the same size as the rear would cause you to get stuck in the mud more often.

I have read every thread on this site and others but some things seem vague to a newbie like me. Example, is a 2004 900 diff. from 2014 x900. Is everything the same or not as far as tires? Last thing I want to do is buy tires online and then have to return them or try to sell them. Just like your statement one person says one thing and others may disagree. I think I will wait awhile and let you be the guinea pig, LOL.

Tact

I have read every thread on this site and others but some things seem vague to a newbie like me. Example, is a 2004 900 diff. from 2014 x900. Is everything the same or not as far as tires? Last thing I want to do is buy tires online and then have to return them or try to sell them. Just like your statement one person says one thing and others may disagree. I think I will wait awhile and let you be the guinea pig, LOL.
I'm not sure on my 2004 and a 2014 model. The threads talking about sizes I'm considering I believe are closer to my year model.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Finally got back to the computer. My first set of BE tires were manufactured in April of 2012.I think I put them on in the Spring of '13. I put my current set on this Spring of 16. So I had the first set in use for 3 years and high hours avg 600 hours per year so close to 1800 hrson average. One day, I will write that stuff down so I can keep up with it although I think it is in an old post. and here is also a picture of the hole that ruined a tire. I used the same tire rims on my '05 900 and as backup on my 2011 900. I have always bought 9 in front and 11 in back. I don;t know about these newfangled models though.bordercollie

Attachments

• 1031161420.jpg
    1031161420.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 1031161420a.jpg
    1031161420a.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 68

Tact

Thanks for the pics. I decided on the ITP Blackwater Evolutions 26x11-12 on all four corners. Praying I have no rubbing issues.

I mainly went with the BEs because of their load ratings. They still do not have a load rating as high as the OTR 440s, but I think they will work just fine.

Thanks for all your inputs in making my decision.

Wow, the dealer in New York sold all those he had in stock. Guess I will wait some more cause I am in no hurry. Tact, hope you got yours before they sold them all.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I bought my last set of BE's on ama zon . I believe they were 498 delivered. that was a good bit less than I paid for my first set. collie

Tact

Wow, the dealer in New York sold all those he had in stock. Guess I will wait some more cause I am in no hurry. Tact, hope you got yours before they sold them all.

I bought mine from a dealer on eBay. Shows they shipped the same day I purchased, and delivery is scheduled for Friday. Pretty fast service if they get here as expected. This dealer shows he has more in stock and I paid $128 each tire delivered. I'll advise as soon as I receive them.

I checked everywhere and called multiple dealers. No one could beat their price.

Tact you are correct they still have more. Yesterday I went to ebay site and put in 26x11-12 and the cheapest was 135 a tire. After seeing your post I put in 26x11x12 and there it was. Why a dash instead of an x makes a diff. who knows. Would like to know what the manufacturing date is on the tires. Hopefully they have not been sitting around for some time. Hope you used paypal so you don't have to pay for another 6 months. Thanks for the info.

Tact

WOW.....Believe it or not, I just checked the status of the UPS delivery and it shows that the tires are due to be delivered TODAY. I just ordered these yesterday. If it's true, that would be the fastest shipment I've ever received as I have never ordered anything over-night.

ovrszd

I got mine overnight. Shipped from Indiana.

As to difference between old/new 900s. Totally different suspension. Different front body panels as well it appears. These two changes could cause different results concerning tire rub.

Tact

I found these when I got home.

Attachments

• 20161102_170306_resized.jpg
    20161102_170306_resized.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20161102_170630_resized.jpg
    20161102_170630_resized.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 41