Tractor won't start Original 13 year old battery died

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have about 5 tenders. They're almost always in use. If anything sits for more than a couple weeks, it's getting one on it.

Another note: Check your batteries to see if they have caps. When I went for new batteries yesterday, I took 4 with me to get them tested. One was a large deep-cycle that I use (with an inverter) for emergency electric power. I thought it was sealed as there was no visible caps. He told me to read the sticker on the top. It says to remove the sticker and fill the cells now and then. DOH! Took it home, removed the stickers, opened the caps. They were way low. Added about 1/2 gallon of distilled water then put it on a 10-amp charge.

urednecku

My M7040 was delivered on 08/31/'07, 13 years 12 days ago. If I run it a few minutes every couple weeks it still fires the tractor up with no problem. If it sets a month one of the little glove-box size boosters will help it spin like a new battery. No power @ the barn to run a tender, guess I need to get one of those little solar charger / maintainer panels to keep on it.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I ran my tractor hard last week. Box blading and digging to fix trails.
Ran for two or three hours. Next day I go to fire up the tractor, nope, nada. Dim light on panel an that's it.
Hooked up battery tender. Left it two days. Slightly brighter dash light but no go.
Hooked up regular battery charger to it yesterday. Left it overnight. Nope. Didn't charge.
Unhooked battery as terminals looked dirty. Was not sure of a good connection.
So it's charging now, or trying to on clean battery posts. I'm not feeling like this will fix it.
This is about 6.5 years old. Kubota replacement battery. If it is dead now, not near as good as the original. But ...I'll admit that is what I expected.
I'll probably pop an Auto Zone battery in it. Any other recommendations. will be considered.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
From a previous post I did last year.

The battery on our Kubota BX2230. It is a 2005 model so I assume it has lasted 15 years. I run Battery Tenders on all our equipment but the cold snap finished it.

It was a DEKA battery and was according to the original label, was manufactured by East Penn manufacturing of PA.

I am a price checker so I checked a number of places including the Kubota dealer. My dealer was honest and said their replacement batteries are made by Interstate - which is fine battery - but the made in Japan DEKA is not available due to FDA regulations on lead content.

During my search, I found battery prices for a group 26R battery averaged about $130. I tried a Batteries Plus store and they had a direct replacement which was labeled as the Duracell brand. I spoke with the store who confirmed what we have heard many times - just a few manufacturers make batteries sold in the U.S. and a variety of labels are put on them. I would not normally think of this place for ag batteries but they were mighty good to work with.

What made this worthy of passing along to everyone is that this "Duracell" labeled battery is also manufactured by East Penn, the same folks who made the original DEKA. With lead being the principal component of the battery, I tried weighing them. The Duracell weighed four ounces more than the DEKA. So I decided to take a chance on it.

The battery retailed for $137 but because I had a business account, it was $100.99 plus tax. The BX turns over just fine and I hope this battery lasts several years. Is it as good as a DEKA? I doubt it. But we will see. Hope this helps you.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting Tony.
I do recall reading that but needed the reminder. LOL
Where did you buy the duracell? Columbus I'll guess.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Reactions: Doc

Kanook

Just an FYI....My B1700 that I bought new in 96 and traded for my B2650 in 2012 Had the original factory battery. My 2004 RTV that I bought used (106 hrs) needed the battery replaced a few years ago but my 2001 Mustang battery lasted 19 years ( branded MOTORCRAFT)...I've never in my 75 years had a replacement last as long as original. I owned a Honda (1990 Civic) who's battery lasted about 9 years but once it failed, needed replacement every couple years. Had a mechanic (not Honda dealer) finally tell me that once this starts happening that I should replace both battery and alternator ( at least on my Civic). Seems a bad diode in the alternator fries the battery and then a sick battery that resulted damages the new alternator ( vicious circle commences). I'm not an auto tech but once I did that the battery lasted another 8 years (and was still under the hood) once the wife then son and finally daughter sealed its demise with close to 400,000 miles on it...Honda and Kubota make great products.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Kanook. That seems like it might be spot on. My first battery when 12.7 years. 2nd battery just died, I had it tested and it's a dead soldier and it's only 6.5 years old.
And, as I said I went ahead and bought at Auto Zone. I've had good luck with their batteries and I needed my tractor in running order tonight. So ... I bought one of one of their 'duralast' batteries. For 145. :eek: A lot more than I was expecting. :bonk: And it only has a 2 year warranty. Geez. The hits just keep on coming. Duh.

DK35vince

I don't have a Kubota, but my original tractor battery lasted 11 years.
The replacement has been in there 9 years and still going so far.
My last pickup truck battery went 13 years. ( best I have ever done with a battery).
Non ever have a battery tender on them.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
DK Vince what brand replacement battery did you get for the tractor?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I just replaced my tractor battery last Friday. The old one would start the tractor easily in warm temps but at it's age (11 years), I thought it best to be proactive and replace before winter.
It's a Deka and cost me $130.