XF: New Forum Software. Comments / Complaints / Questions ...Lets hear them.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
XF = Xenforo. Written by the primary developers of the VB software we migrated away from.
It will take a bit of a learning curve but please don't give up. Ask anything here or simply comment or complain. Sometimes complaints lead to solutions so don't be shy.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh no. Sounds like we have an issue with images.
On new posts when you post an image you can choose it to be a thumb or full size. Either way the full size is uploaded to the site here so you are not saving me by choosing thumbnail ...it does help with load time for anyone with a slow internet though.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Never was much for fixing something that isn't broken.
I agree 110%. That's why we lived witn VB 5+ years past end of life. PHP which it runs on was also end of life for the only version VB would run. Errors were coming in, thousands a day. I kept it going but it was broke and needed something.
This is the fix for VB. It was broken. I loved VB. And I HATE change. So my options were to close this forum or to change. I hope I made the right call in the long run.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I’m the same. HATE change! I’ve worked with VB for years and I like it too. i take care of a lot of back office things for the forum but Doc is deep in the nuts and bolts. Its turned into quite a battle for him last year or two. It was at the point that almost every error or lockup could have been the last gasp!

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Theres a margin on each side of the page, leaving about half the width for text. Forum owners use these margins for links and forum related info. Some folks fill them up with ads. On our old software Doc had the margins on both side turned off. Here the left margin contains the user information rather than at the top of the post like our old software. Doc turned off the right margin but the left has to stay. I don’t think the user info can be moved to the top but we can check. Another thing we might be able to bump up the default font size to make the text a little larger. have to check on that too.

jim

dan900

Another thing we might be able to bump up the default font size to make the text a little larger. have to check on that too.
That would help. With my old tired eyes I find that larger font is a significant help. Also, more contrast between the text and the background helps a lot.
So far I like what I'm seeing. (And I am also one of those who does not usually do well with unnecessary change.)
Doc, you're doing good.........