Diesel Clogging one solution

vintovka

FYI -- The diesel clogging issue is not just for RTVs but most all diesel powered engines. As our inept environmentalists mess with our fuels (and ruin our property) ingenious ways are being found to help. Of note is cleaning exhaust system using UREA to burn off soot. My new Passat diesel has a 5 gallon tank of mostly urine (ad blue) that is sprayed into the catalytic converter when engine shuts off. This system is being looked at for other diesel engines like our RTVs and tractors. The good news is I can get upwards of 60 mpg flat out a/c on at 65 mpg. The bad news is i have 5 gallons of piss in my passat. I wonder if we could use our own. Would be handy for many reasons on the road or in the field.

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Please stop it!!!!! I can't stop laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
Hell we now can run engines off our poop fumes an now we can flush them out wit piss......its not gonna be long. Before they install meters on our peters to tax it sinse we now use it for something.

vintovka

I have one a few "bar" bets when folks don't believe me at first. I call the car the "pizzat". Whats really ironic is that after you've driven and parked the car you can hear the adblue pump running like a horse at the end of a race. If youre wondering the town mileage is a hair under 40 mpg. Max range is 800 miles!!

At other times the cooling fans and pump make so much noise you're not sure you've turned the engine off. I predict these non Hybrid diesels will eliminate other cars. Imagine one of these engines in a kubota!!

rj's barn

I have a 2011 F250 with the selective catalyst reduction system. I have guys look at me like I'm a blinker fluid salesman when i tell them I have to put "diesel exhaust fluid" in my truck. If you would have told me a decade ago that I would have to put "clean urea" in my truck I would have looked at you like you were a blinker fluid salesman too.
It really is an amazing system given that I can chisel the asphalt off the road with 400hp and get 17 mpg unloaded out of an internal combustion engine that the epa purposely tried to over regulate out of existence with burdensome emissions rules. The idea is that the emissions coming out of the engine have to be cleaner than the air going into the intake. Pure genius, ain't it?

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
... The idea is that the emissions coming out of the engine have to be cleaner than the air going into the intake. Pure genius, ain't it?
Sounds like a good idea to me.

I posted the following back in January; I'll add it again here:

It's not government going nuts and creating unreasonable standards, rather it is elected representatives responding to their constituents demands that the somebody Do Something! about unbreatheable air that their constituents are fed up with.

This picture is a normal smoggy summer day showing downtown Sacramento, the state capitol, taken from the nearby foothills of the Sierras. California's central valley traps its own smog plus that which blows over from the (greater population) San Francisco Bay Area. (Which is real proud of their clean air - because it all blows away quickly!) All that smog from both regions stacks up against the western slope of the Sierras and lingers for days. I was raised in this crud and would be happy to see it reduced.

Los Angeles smog is worse. Same geography, a closed basin with no air escaping, and some 20 million people down there all driving around. When I used to go down there on business I couldn't see how people put up with it, it burned my throat like when you bleach out the shower. They had many days when kids couldn't go out for recess.

When somebody invents an atmosphere-cleaning device like that urea injector, I say give em a medal.

attachment.php

vintovka

Doubt it will ever get better, ARB is way more interested in $$$ than the environment i would love to FEE/TAX us on each of our non road vehicles and machines. The latter is just a matter of time. Remember these guys ruined (and continue to ruin) millions of engines messing with formulation and basically polluted our drinking water with MTBE. They were also directly responsible for $6 diesel recently

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
ARB is way more interested in $$$ than the environment
It's all an evil conspiracy to take away your hard earned dollars. :mad2:

ARB could decide to do nothing but then everybody would have to move to the country - and of course they would bring their exhaust fumes out there with them.

You think rules are strangling here - I took this photo of mid afternoon smog in New Delhi. This is after all diesels and 2-cycles (Vespa-type taxis) were completely prohibited in the urban area (because everyone was choking). Everything was forced to convert to natural gas to operate in New Delhi. Yes that was expensive.

It helped a little ...

attachment.php

Things could be worse.

Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
New Delhi does not look as bad as LA. :eek: Neither are good though. Are you in New Delhi now CA?

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
That is from our visit to Younger Daughter when she was doing her Berkeley 'semester abroad' breadth requirement in 2004. She attended University of Delhi June through December, and we visited for 2+ weeks in November. The photo is from the roof of a little hotel looking toward the center of New Delhi. Every day went from nasty yellow overcast to murky sky like this as the day progressed. It became so gray every day that I instinctively felt it was evening and sunset 3-4 hours before real sunset.

That culture is too chaotic to have vehicle inspections and fuel standards so they simply ended all diesels and 2-cycles in the city. I can't imagine what it was like before, burning bad diesel fuel in 50-years-ago design diesel engines.

Heatwave

When somebody invents an atmosphere-cleaning device like that urea injector, I say give em a medal.

Amen and amen. We have only one environment. It's ours in trust ... to enjoy while protecting. Anyone who thinks the environment is a self-cleaning resource is in deep denial.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Now I've got diesel envy...my 01 TDI Jetta only gets 54 mpg mixed driving :drive2:
Oh man I want one! I drive a lot of highway miles between my home in town and my orchard, generally a trip over there every week all year. I've been using a little Focus wagon for this, and now want to make a substantial step up in fuel economy.

Are there good years and years to avoid when buying a TDI used? I need the small wagon - would that be a Golf?

Heatwave

I regret I can't come near your VW diesel in fuel mileage, but my new Camry Hybrid got 39.1 mpg on a 1300 mile round trip we did this past week ... 87 octane gas. Most of it was 75-80 mph interstate cruising. I'm pleased.

DIXIEDOG

Oh man I want one! I drive a lot of highway miles between my home in town and my orchard, generally a trip over there every week all year. I've been using a little Focus wagon for this, and now want to make a substantial step up in fuel economy.

Are there good years and years to avoid when buying a TDI used? I need the small wagon - would that be a Golf?

I prefer the MKIV Jettas with the ALH engine, 01-03 seem to be very good years. They all have some issues but this model seems to have very few problems overall and they get outstanding mpg under most circumstances. The Golf would be the small hatchback, they offer the wagon as well but they aren't cheap...generally even a high mileage wagon (175K+) would fetch over $8k here.

vintovka

I studied the various hybrids and came to the conclusion that they require long term stuff we couldnt deal with. Given the cost and mileage new TDI engined vehicles will outsell other brands. We had to wait 9 months to get one but well worth it. The urea cleaner allows catalytic to function and is in use in many of the diesels right now. The VW technology and engineering is the best ive seen and would love to see a VW/Kubota.

As a registered, credentialed, published toxicolgist and environmental engineer with 40 years field experience i would tell you all the real, factual, truth about our environment but you wouldn't like it.

rj's barn

I'd love to hear it, Vintovka. All I hear on the news is the 2 extremes of the argument.

And California, any word on any plans for your state to convert to more natural gas infrastructure to help with the smog? Looks like it did wonders for India. I hear you could cut the air with a chainsaw a decade ago.