Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Do you have a budget in mind? My neighbor has a really nice one but as I recall, it was really expensive (like $1500 or $2000).

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
BTW, what kind of "stuff" do you want to spray down? Thinking of PSI and GPM here. Too much of those can raise havoc on small things.

Mine is old and doesn't have this feature so I don't know if they all come like this now but I'd recommend one that the pump is tied to the trigger. When you let off the trigger, the pump shuts off. Mine doesn't have that and if I recall the instructions, you have to pull the trigger every 30 seconds to relieve pressure. A PITA if you want to set the washer down for a minute to use a sponge or something.

My vote for Greenworks 1950. Easier to use then my Honda 6hp. Does everything I've tasked it to do so far - clean RTV, frt end loader, truck, goose neck horse trailer etc. Going to use it on the barn before I stain this fall. That will be the real test. 2yrs old and not a problem. Plus no oil to change or carb to maintain. What's not to like.....

OrangeBuggy

Thanks guys, as far as budget I think up to three or four hundred would be ok as I have a Hotsy hot water/steam cleaner. I just wanted something to wash the dust and light dirt off the RTV or even the pick-up. If either gets to bad I can use the Hotsy.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That budget should get you a nice one.

I looked around Amazon.
Here's their best seller.
https://www.amazon.com/Joe-SPX3000-...her&refinements=p_n_srvg_3007398011:492227011

The Greenworks 1950 that Stuck In NJ also has really high reviews. It's just a little smaller.

The only advise that's coming to mind is don't use the 0° (jet) nozzle on something you don't want everything removed. Years ago, my Dad used my electric one with that nozzle on his truck. The first thing he hit was the outside of the drivers side mirror. Took the paint right off.

OrangeBuggy

I when ahead and bought a Greenworks 2,000-PSI 1.2-GPM Cold Water Electric Pressure Washer. Stuck in NJ liked his so I did some reading. Like everything, some bad reviews but mostly good ones. The bad ones had reply's from Greenworks wanting the reviewer to contact them along with contact info so the problems could be resolved. I thought that was pretty good of Greenworks. So I'm willing to try one.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I when ahead and bought a Greenworks 2,000-PSI 1.2-GPM Cold Water Electric Pressure Washer. Stuck in NJ liked his so I did some reading. Like everything, some bad reviews but mostly good ones. The bad ones had reply's from Greenworks wanting the reviewer to contact them along with contact info so the problems could be resolved. I thought that was pretty good of Greenworks. So I'm willing to try one.

Thanks, you have probably sold another one. My 6hp gas unit either needs the carb or pump rebuilt about everyother time I use it. Keep us posted.

OrangeBuggy

Thanks, you have probably sold another one. My 6hp gas unit either needs the carb or pump rebuilt about everyother time I use it. Keep us posted.

Should have it tomorrow or the latest Monday. I've rebuild the pump in my Dakota (I said Hotsy I know, sorry) a couple of times also. Was told to replace pump next time to take care of that problem. It was $199.00 thru Lowes so the price wasn't so bad. Would've liked to had a little more GPM though.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
soon to ditch DTV

I have decided to ditch direct tv. I will be dropping the hammer in a week or so- The thing that broke the camel's back was when I was asking for a standard receiver to replace one damaged by the lightening. The csr insisted I had a wiring problem even though I told him the receiver that had been on a coax surge protector worked fine when I tried it in that room. I told him I had put my system in 22 years ago and that the damaged receiver had been in service 8 years Then I mentioned how much I had been paying a year lease on it x 8 years. He argued with me about that too. . He was insisting I pay for a service call . I said to just cut that one off and I save the extra $7 a month. He said fine.. I said ha.
I had already streamlined my dtv bill down the first of the year. This smart alac, eating while talking to me, made me start thinking about it... and I checked into Sling tv.. Well , since we have decent DSL now .. I got a Roku and all I can say is wow ! for 25 a month I get about the same if not more than I was paying dtv almost 3 x more for . There is also a back door adjustment so you can choose your speed on Roku to save bandwidth but you do need to adjust it every time the unit wakes up. Anyway. I am pleased with this Roku and Sling combo and can say good bye to my former form of entertainment. By the way I did a speed test and have 12 in my room and 15 downstairs so adjusting the "picture quality to standard " has shown to be great although it was also fine with HD. I just want to be conservative. bordercollie

edit to say that the LNB was also blown by the strike and I had replaced it before I called dtv.

Last edited:

squerly

Gold Site Supporter
I have decided to ditch direct tv.
I'm with you BC, I'm getting where I hate Direct TV. Rude customer service and way to expensive. Unfortunately for me, we have to buy our Internet service through a satellite provider (no, not Direct TV) and we are limited to 15 GB per month. We're hoping that someday we will get DSL but living out here on the mountain that's probably not realistic.

Good luck!

squerly

Gold Site Supporter
My hose is big enough but doesn't last very long...

Anyone know where I can get a water hose that will last more than a couple of years? Seems like after 2 years they crack and spring leaks. For what they cost I would expect them to last a little longer!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Water hose as in garden hose? If so, I'd suggest a never kink type. The rubber is much softer. My hoses are easily 10 years old and show no signs of cracking or leaking.

Mark.Sibole

Ive had great luck with the ones you see on TV that collapse into a small ball and expand when you apply water to them.Ive had mine for 4 years now and no issues.They use a nice flexable rubber on them and atr basically made like a quality fire hose you see on fire trucks.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Never had DirecTV but have heard plenty of horror stories.

I do have a Roku and really like it. As for changing the resolution, I've only been able to do it when I sign-in using a computer (Can't set it on the TV/Roku itself). Be careful using the highest resolution. As I recall, it can burn through 3 gigs of memory watching a 2-hour movie. You may want to check with your ISP to see how many gig you get per month before they start charging you. When we got the Roku and Xbox, we definitely had to upgrade our data. We now have a 500 gig/month plan and even with that, sometimes we need to buy more for the month.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ive had great luck with the ones you see on TV that collapse into a small ball and expand when you apply water to them.Ive had mine for 4 years now and no issues.They use a nice flexable rubber on them and atr basically made like a quality fire hose you see on fire trucks.
I know they're getting better, but from what I heard, the ends of the hoses are the weak point. Make sure they have good connectors.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I see heavy rubber hoses among the vinyl ones at the big box stores. I've also seen them in the Northern Tool catalog.

I have no idea if they last longer though. Seem like everything today has a short design live. :pat:

We tried some of those collapsible hoses at the barn. Only lasted a few months. What Mr Zoom said is correct. The ends came off.

Jim

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Tractor Supply has water hoses with a lifetime warranty......Yeah we all laugh at that one; but my wife, the spend thrift, keeps those kind of things. These hoses are thick, black, HEAVY, and do last awhile. We have two that are 5 or 6 years old and a couple more that are 4. She uses them down at the barn for various purposes.....Anyway, one went bad with splits and such. She took it back along with the paper cover thing and then walked out with a new hose.....We have a good manager at our TSC and that may say something; but perhaps it's worth a try.........

Status
Not open for further replies.