Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Was changing out the implements on the 3-point hitch of the tractor last week. Got me wondering, what implements does everyone regularly use on the 3PH and how often do you mount them? Myself, I find that I try to do all the year's work for a specific attachment at once so I only have to mount it annually. These things get heavier and heavier as I age. It's uncommon for the tractor to not have an implement on it. BTW - As it relates to me, I'm talking about a compact utility tractor here, not larger farm tractors.

Myself, I have 5 that I use annually.
box blade - 1-2 months for landscaping & driveway grading, mainly in the spring.
rototiller - 2-3 weeks in the spring
brush hog - 1-2 weeks after baling is over so I can touch up the perimeter of the field.
logging winch - 1-2 months in the fall when harvesting firewood.
scraper blade (mainly for snow) - the rest of the year.

I have others I rarely use - Plow, sub-soiler, pallet forks...

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Have thought many times over the years about getting their easy-change system. When I first started looking, they were very pricey. Looks like they've come down a lot so I may have to reconsider.
Also want to get a piranha tooth bar for my bucket. A friend has one and it's impressive watching it dig through stuff.
CSTB.jpg

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I have one of the pat's easy and have yet to put it on, I need to do that because as you said , it is getting harder and harder to lineup the implements as I get older. . I keep a piece of short rebar in the little tractor tool box to help line things up and that does help. I plan to do that before next Spring.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
don't overlook the little flat washer that has a bent ear on it from pats. you snap the keeper through it and leave it on the pin. they really help getting attached.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
JD sells and many copy, an "I" hitch that you end up buying a bunch of bushings and extension forging to adapt your attachments so they are all pretty much the same size as far as the point where they attach to the tractor.............Gets rid of the upper arm.

In addition on the Kubota I have a Pat's system and have been using it for years now. I got another one for the JD that is still in a box because I got the "I" hitch system instead.......Collie, they sell for something like $29 a sliding bar with "L" bends on the ends for hooking into the Pat's and sliding back and forth and locking down for the width of the various implements............

For me, though a pain in the tail acquiring all the little bits and pieces to fit correctly; but once done, the "I" system is easier to use..........

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Bush hog - all summer
Cyclone seeder - just before dove season
Woods pasture renovator- 2-3 weeks in fall
Tiller- once in the spring once end of summer

Have a pats easy change for $75 if someone wants it. Pick up only middle Tennessee
Compact tractor I have now has telescoping arms

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I have several implements that are over five years old. Some are very old. After wrestling with an implement recently that was put away on not perfectly level ground, I was wondering if anyone has experience with a quick hitch set up and if it is worth looking into. A neighbor told me that an implement must be quick hitch compliant.

The tractor is a BX2230. Any experience with quick hitch?

Thanks

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
My tiller is compliant. It has sliding brackets with pins that can be adjusted to meet the "hooks" of the quick hitch.
One important thing is to make sure the implement's shaft is long enough to expand the extra inches that the quick hitch adds. collie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
none of my implements are compliant with quick hitches or anything special at all. they all work with the Pat's system i have on my tractor. the Pat's system has a push block of sorts built in so if you arent perfectly lined up you just bump the implement a little and lift to lock it in. the little bent washer that he sells really helps in my opinion.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Another Pat's easy change system satisfied user here. I've been using Pat's EC since 2005.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
One important thing is to make sure the implement's shaft is long enough to expand the extra inches that the quick hitch adds. collie

Very important point about how Pat's system lengthens the lower arms by 5 or 6 inches. This makes the PTO shaft need to be able to extend that extra length.....Dont know how much they cost, but lots of places sell a new PTO shaft for whatever it is........

Again, the adjustable arm to fit in the special holes built into the Pat's device. This arm really makes the whole process as easy as it does. Just a rod that fits inside another hollow rod with a lock screw to hold the adjustment for the width of the implement arms.......WORTH WHATEVER IT COSTS...........

aBOUT THE OFF-LEVEL IMPLEMENT......Pretty much all I can think of is to put blocks under the low side to make the two arms equal or hook up the "low" side ant then raise the other arm up to the height of the "high" arm and hook it up............

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So, my son, his friend and I went skydiving this afternoon.

All I can say is WOW, THAT WAS AWESOME!!!

We arrived early and were their first trip for the day. They were ready for us so we got a good jump (pun intended) on things.
Training then strap up. Meet up with the jump masters then load onto the plane.
We were packed like sardines in the plane and it was hot. This was the worst part of the day.
Once the lights came on, the door was opened and things happened fast. My son was the first out, followed by his friend then me. I'd say all 3 of us were gone within a minute.
We jumped from 13,500' with a free-fall for 8000' then chutes open at 5500' for the slow ride down.
Some tumbling as you free-fall then you're in control. You're really hauling ass when free-falling but it wasn't difficult to see (using goggles) and wasn't at all hard to breath.
I could tell when he pulled the cord to open the chute. I was expecting a terrible jolt but it wasn't bad at all.
Once the chute opened, he let me control it for awhile, turning left, right, loops... I did it for a minute then told him I'd prefer he drive so I can just enjoy the experience and view (basically, as a passenger).
The landing was incredibly smooth. He comes down on his feet, me on my butt. It was no harder of a landing than falling off a sled in the snow.

Yes, I'd definitely do it again. We're going to go race go-carts on a track this Thursday. We're hoping that will be as much fun.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
always take an air hose or extension cord with you when you jump. if your chute fails just tie the hose or extension cord arount your waist and throw it out. it will always snag on something! wink

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like a great experience Brian. And you got to do it with your son. AWESOME. A memory that will never be forgotten. Beaches come and go but a jump out of a plane will live in your memory forever. :thumb:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Forgot to update this thread.
Pics of skydiving.
I'm the old guy in green (and strapped to the gold parachute).
My son is in the pinkish suit, his friend in the yellow.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Status
Not open for further replies.