Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

David69

Shortened version of what happened to me last Spring
It had rained a lot and the pastures were very wet. I was concerned the RTV would get stuck when I needed to go in this back pasture to fix the electric fence. This area had standing water for weeks in places and was way back in the bottom land. The fence had to be fixed - the cows were coming in . Crops were coming up on the neighbor's land next to the electric fence. The cows were eager for some green nibbles- this was getting dicey . I grab some tools and my chain saw and take the 4wlr to do my job. I work with the saw... it starts to get late .Then, I come to a section of fence where I had large diameter vines shorting out my fence. I reach to the 4whlr and immediately realize that the chainsaw won't cut those vines without grabbing and I have left my long handled pruners on the RTV.... at home.. It is too late to go and get them .. too far.. and the cows have been let in the pasture.. It has to be fixed -they are about to challenge the fence as they reach for green nibbles ..
I put my hands on my face lean over and say. "Oh Lord what I going to do?? " " I sure need those long pruners- bad." Then, I raise my head and cast my eyes down the fence line as I ponder what to do . Suddenly, my eyes catch a glimpse of red maybe an inch wide, under the fence covered with decayed leaves. I go over and knock the leaves away.. there right in front of me is a pair of pruners lost 5 or 7 years ago..and they still worked ! I work and maintain on at least 750 acres of electrically fenced and cross fenced land. Those things could have been anywhere but there they were- for me when I needed them.. Oh wow.. Yea. I have had a lot of things like that happen. I call them Godwinks. :) judy

Godwinks..hahahahahaha good one! :wink:

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm not having a good mental day.

Got an e-mail this morning that one of my best childhood friends passed away from a heart attack at 48, leaving behind a family with 2 children. :(

A heavy heart all day.

Then I heard this afternoon that one of my musical icons (Glen Frey of the Eagles) just passed away.

I do pray things don't come in 3's. I'm not prepared for another person passing away.

The heart goes out to YOU BUD....so many things we see on here and have all gone through now that yes, truly, Judy is not only my sister with God and Christ but is such with the way she has reached out to help not mainly me but as I see her with others. The same goes to YOU my FRIEND. It is hard in these times to really see that and trust. What I do is sit back and watch over time just how this person does in the good and bad.....Have really seen you through both and yes, I know it means little; but you, because of how you are, have totally earned my trust and more.
I know you really don't need to hear this; but this old AA member of 19 years of straight and sober.....KNOWS.....KNOWS in my heart that it is HIS will not mine that causes things to happen. I truly must believe this in my heart as yes, I do my best; but when things happen that I have no control over, I get some strength by knowing that HE is with me and it truly is HIS will that is causing things to happen. I cannot wonder why, only accept that it does...........God bless.....Dennis

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
For me, it's the angels.....YES, they are there and when those little things happen that keep me alive, I have to know it. Not gonna sit here and say the who, what, when, where, and how; but they do happen, and here I am. I have survived 400K miles on motorcycles and not been down once. Been in 3 shooting "wars" and folks right next to me died....here I am. Unknown how many hours around 4 hooved critters and am out of the way or something has blocked them every time....ON AND ON.....I just thank HIM for being with me and protecting me pretty often and getting down on my knees is not only a child like thing to do to talk to HIM. For me, it's those ANGELS....and they are real.....God bless.....Dennis

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I am sad to hear of that news BcZoom. My prayers for the family are going out. If there is a way to help in their sorrow please just say.
Those Godwinks are out there... remember the snake you almost stepped on.. oh, you may have not seen it but it was there -behind that stump you walked by the other day...
It took me a while to "sharpen my senses"- a few experiences woke me up though . Now I see them often._ some minor some huge but definitely no coincidence. ( I don't believe in coincidences)
Back in the early 90's I was moving a very heavy Foley Belsaw wood planer on a stand, I was pushing on it on some little roller wheels and had the electric chain hoist hap hazardly on it as well -so i could have enough weight off to push it. Well I was alone in the shop - I had a wheel hang up and reached down to straighten whatever had it caught. Before I knew it, the chain slipped and this massive steel planer bed was pushing me down to the concrete floor. At that time, I had a pair of Rebok tennis shoes on.. As the planer bed dug into my back, one leg was behind me and one in front. My nose was one inch from my shoes and I thought a pair of red, dirty Reboks would be the last thing I saw.. I cried out ... "Lord help me" at that very precise moment, the chain and a little tiny table leg somehow brought the planer to a stand still. It took me a long time but I wiggled out. I had bruises and scrapes in the shape of the planer bed on my back and sore leg muscles but I realized then I was not alone when this happened. My first serious Godwink where I realized what was happening... (There is a book by that name- too- very encouraging book for support when looking for it in times of" needing something to hold onto" )
My life has had sad moments for sure but they have made me stronger in my faith- Ever had a soft and gentle touch on your back as you wept , when a much,much loved, special person passed? Turned around and no one was there? I have..

Last edited:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So, I was getting ready to go cut up some logs last weekend.

For chainsaw oil, I buy it by the gallon then transfer/funnel it into squeeze type containers (either Hershey's chocolate syrup or ketchup but the ketchup don't seem to last as long). This gives me a container I can pour directly into the saw and has nice lids that keep the oil clean.

Well, it was really cold and the oil was so thick I could barely get it to pour into the saw. When I know I'm going to do cutting in the winter, I normally keep some oil in the house but this was "spur of the moment".

Microwave oven to the rescue! Put the oil in there, nuke it for a minute then it's luke warm and flows nicely. Why didn't I think of this sometime in the past???

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
BZ, don't do like we did a couple weeks ago. We decided to have pancakes one night for dinner. The syrup was in the refrigerator, so the wife says no problem, she'll nuke it for a couple minutes. Unfortunately she forgot to loosen the lid and the plastic bottle exploded. That was a hell of a mess to clean up.

I can't imagine having to clean motor oil from the inside of the microwave.

Bob

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Early January I went to the lumber store, and took a soda along with me. Never opened the soda. Left it in the car, had other things on my mind. It got real real cold that weekend. Down to zero. You probably guessed it, that can exploded. What a mess. I had light brown stalagmites hanging from the inside roof of the car. Sunroof protector was closed so lucky it did not bang against that or I suspect it would have shattered.

Good part was I was able to get it cleaned up (with the help of my wife) before things thawed. Still a mess and no fun to clean but had it thawed I hate to think of the mess it would have made.

As for pancake syrup, we've always kept it in the cabinet with no issues. One time a granddaughter did put it in the fridge, oh my, way to thick to do much with. Did not think of microwaving it ....and probably lucky I didn't. Don't need that mess. LoL

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oops! :hide:

Hadn't thought about the lid. Yea, bar oil would probably make a serious mess. Will make note of that. I only heated for 1 minute so luckily, I didn't get it above room temperature.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We keep our syrup in the fridge but I've never warmed it. The kids like that cheap crap but I won't eat that stuff. I use either homemade (from a friend) or get it imported from a small mom-and-pop place from up in Vermont. Now that's the good stuff.:)

Mark.Sibole

Love fresh syrup.I help a DR friend haul in sap when my body lets me and then sit in the sugar shack and watch it boil down.You cant beat home made Maple syrup

Mark.Sibole

9:50 pm Damn is it ruffout there 6 inches of the wettest snow ive seen 30 mph winds and itc changing over to rain ans freezing rain.I just got in from plowing as im not sure if Id have enough machine to plow this mess if I waited till morning

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Our winter is really messed up. We're now in February and the snowfall in many of the traditional "snowiest cities" in the East is really low.

Places like Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse & Erie that traditionally get 100-120" of snow each winter are currently at 23-43".

I'm between Pittsburgh & Erie and I'd say we've only gotten 6" for the whole year. I don't mind too much since the kids have outgrown sledding and such for the most part but I hate all this mud.

Mark.Sibole

We are way down on snow also but what we have been getting had been the border line wet snow and rain mix.I had to get the 990 out today to diden out the driveway as the Kubots just didnt have the power to push the sides of slush and frozen ice.

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
9:50 pm Damn is it ruffout there 6 inches of the wettest snow ive seen 30 mph winds and itc changing over to rain ans freezing rain.I just got in from plowing as im not sure if Id have enough machine to plow this mess if I waited till morning

Mark, that's what we had 2 weeks ago. We got about a quarter inch of ice. Then it snowed, then it sleeted, then it rained. That night it was about 20 degrees so everything froze. All total we had about an inch of ice on the ground. Neither one of my tractors (MF 35 and Kubota BX2200) could get enough traction on the ice to plow it.

I said to heck with it and came back inside. Fortunately in a couple of days it melted.

I'm ready for Spring.

Bob

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This looks like a fun ATV. I think Mark needs one. ;)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRdOIS2EuFk[/ame]

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Was driving home last Saturday and was in no hurry so I pulled into the GMC dealer.

My truck is over 10 years old so I've been "thinking" about getting a new one.

Drove down the line of trucks until to the crew cabs which is what I'd want and hopped out.

There was a nice 3/4 ton there but it had no window sticker but it was unlocked so I hopped in the drivers seat. Damn! That thing was sweet. Had everything (but so much more than what I needed).

Got out and went to the back seat to check out how they fold. I don't like how the bottoms flip up to the back. I like the older ones where the bottom tilted forward then the backs fold down to make a bench. This makes it elevated so the dog can stand there and get her head out the window.

Anyway, found the window sticker on the floor. $68,000 :eek:

I think I'll just keep my current truck...

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
BCZOOM I sure would like to have an atv like that!!! Fishing and mountain climbing all from the comforts of the driver seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.